Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 R with 1968 912 roots..

East Coast
    My father(50 year union carpenter) once told me that you can tell all you need to know about a man by simple looking at his hands...In his mind, the scars and wear marks were an indicator of a persons character and their commitment to their trade...oddly enough, for me it has for the most part rang true...old school I guess
    Nice work Fixer, your car is really starting to shape up and your craftsmanship is evident...love the hot-rod attitude you're adding to it...I'm looking forward to seeing your car in person and meeting you...or since I live only one township(19064) over I may just come over and crash the party
    Last edited by MikeM; 06-06-2016 at 05:52 AM.

OG3
    RG715

Wow, 50 years is a long time especially before nail guns. Your Dad must be tough as them. I look forward to going driving together Mike.
    I looked at the hood in the sunlight after work, it's not as good as i thought. I missed a few tiny dings again !.. so it'll need to be sanded and repainted.
    Oh well.

I kind of dig the accent color in the sun, it gives the Beige Gray paint a blueish tint/hue? to my eyes. My daughter saw it too.
    Maybe it has something to do with mosquito season.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by Fixer; 06-06-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add a joke
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I've decided to add some glass to the fenders to tighten up panel gaps. You can see the final radius near the mirror is too large and creates a big panel gap. I want to add a little in other areas as well prior to primer. I will go over how to easily add material by making a simple throw away mold.

That last pic is the view we want to see. The new hood seal really holds it up too high at present.
    Using 914 gauges for testing..

EDIT: Regarding the accent color, I'm going to look at a deep dark red too for the R stripes and front and rear bumper. A red interior with white headliner would also be nice with that.

I'm starting to want to add a little luxury to this car. [But not weight]
    Last edited by Fixer; 06-10-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: clarity
    Haverford Pennsylvania

A dark red leather interior would look great with this color Porsche. I'd like to find worn red seats which is a long shot i know. It would be really nice to build a car with built in patina or have it look well worn or even original when done. I'm thinking that i shouldn't even re chrome the wheels for now and just run them. I was also thinking of drilling them for lightness like the old 50s Porsche racing cars.

I ordered matte red vinyl for the R stripes to take a look and will paint the metal bumpers the accent color. Fogs will also get the accent color if i go that route.

For those using fiberglass, i added a little material to the fiberglass R fenders, these are made with really old molds, in fact when thumbing through a few Porsche mags i could see similarities with shape up at the nose with one older nice R build. I'm having trouble with my phone flipping images all of a sudden..

These last two pics illustrate where i was and where i am which motivates.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I bought a really sloppily made fiberglass engine lid but asked the Seller [let's call him Peter] to refund me $100 to take care of the issues. So with that I decided to modify it while cleaning up the panel gaps and other problems.

I'm grafting my aluminum louvers [much easier to make than steel] to the lid with rivets and glassing them in. The aluminum mating surface is roughed. It will all be painted, the 12 ga. aluminum is set flush and will not be seen as aluminum.

EDIT: I'm very sorry to hear what happened last night in Orlando. My thoughts are with the families of the injured and fallen.
    Last edited by Fixer; 06-13-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: pics out of wack
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I'm 'pulling the plug' on this thread for a while.

If anyone wants an update: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...912-roots.html
    Last edited by Fixer; 11-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I can't remember if it was Richard or Ernie that posted a picture looking forward up through the fender of an original R [showing one of the oil coolers].

I'm ready to mount my oil coolers and have been searching. My 1968 912 'R' creation has really come together and is rolling now..

All body panels are painted and ready to fit, installing door seals and window channel currently etc. [fun stuff !]
    Last edited by Fixer; 11-18-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

It's so nice to be off the dolley and safely on it's original wheels. I set the radius arms at 30 degrees, should have a nice stance.

2 liter dry sump 4 with crank fire ignition.. I've sorted the wiring, Lucas battery installed and everything seems good with working lighting.
    I'll update w pics..

If anyone has a picture showing how the oil coolers were mounted in an R please post. -M
    Last edited by Fixer; 11-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I plan to start with the R stripes this weekend. Here's a rendering i did not too long ago. I can't wait to drive it.
    I may paint the headlight rings black, add a rally bumper up front with multiple fogs and install mud flaps..
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Glad to see you back...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100