Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 R with 1968 912 roots..

QUOTE=KS Carrera;835084]I guess nobody told me it was foolish to start with a 912...

Most thought I had made a mistake not using a 6 here and not using my 616 engine at the 912 registry. Now there are about 8 to 10 more being built around the world. I might be about a half a bubble off but at least I'm not alone anymore.
    Chris
    reSee Works
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

My 2 cents-- go with 912 hot rod with polo engine. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Could I see the rest of your gold metallic Porsche?

Single stage metallic paint still or a repaint in modern base-clearcoat system?
    Inquiring minds you know..
    Rather than gatecrash this thread, see the bottom photo on page 2:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...the-road/page2
    Clear over base...
    Cornwall
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    Here are some splitters I added. I'm sure there will be strong feelings one way or the other on looks. My car used to float around at about 110 mph. I've crossed 130 and the car is solid and tracks true with no drama. It seems to add just enough down force and the rear doesn't feel light. It also seems to help ram a little more air into the oil cooler on that side.
    Chris
    Yes, strong feelings indeed. This looks fantastic ! beautiful work Chris. Did you build your custom motor support too?
    I really am intrigued by the Polo motor as any Porsche guy with a pulse should be but to save a semester's College tuition [Kids not me]
    I've already built a high compression 2.0L Type IV motor[taken from 914] to the following specs w/ an estimated 160 BHP.
    2056cc
    71 stroke, 96 bore, 10:1 comp.
    H beam rods, total seal rings, Web-cam(494), Scat lube a lobe lifters
    JE lightweight wrist pins, Scat deep sump, 914 windage tray, Modified Berg
    oil pump cover, Modified Berg achiever pulley, Jaycee pushrods, solid rocker
    spacers, 1.7 rockers, chromoly rocker studs, Dual valve springs and
    retainers, Manley spring cups, 44mm intake valves, 38mm exhaust valves,
    CB magnaspark ignition system, Treuhaft valve covers and intakes.
    44 mm Webers
    Last edited by Fixer; 11-09-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by KS Carrera View Post
    Rather than gatecrash this thread, see the bottom photo on page 2:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...the-road/page2
    Clear over base...
    Gatecrash all you want, it's breathtaking. wow.

I really like these wheels and have been meaning to figure out how to find a set.-Matt
    Last edited by Fixer; 10-26-2015 at 08:33 AM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Well now i do have 356/911R style door glass mechanism in my 928
    weight savings over stock: 16 lbs.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Here's the rebuilt Type IV motor and my custom quickie header w/ stinger exhaust

I weighed the long block and exhaust, I estimate this motor to make 150-160 BHP. The heads are only ported a little to match the intakes, no other porting was done. Magna spark digital distributor, Heavy duty oil pump w/ spin on filter and cooler. Not on in pic. Engine specs are above.

Longblock weight with oil: 160 lbs
    Exhaust weight: 15 lbs. I installed a sensor bung on the stinger pipe for an Air/Fuel gauge which i'll hide somewhere in the car.
    The Fan/Alternator, Shroud, Tins, Carbs, Oil filter/cooler: estimate another 50 lbs
    Motor weight will be around 225 lbs or less

For comparison, a 911 motor [alum alloy case] without oil tank: 406 lbs. So the guy that told me it would save 200 lbs to use this motor was right. It was also Very cheap to build.

Type IVs are an evolution of the Type 1 VW engine, they're more robust and were built for torque to push the Bus and other bigger, heavier VWs. I think stock they made around 130 lb ft of torque. That's what the early 2 liter 911 motors made.
    The Type IV case is very light magnesium alloy and 11 lbs lighter than a new aluminum alloy Type 1 case but holds more oil. They also have better oiling b/c they were an evolution of the earlier case.

This motor will make the power and torque of an early 911 motor but weigh 200 lbs less and for very little money. This motor was built to make torque.

I now think i may use fiberglass fenders and lids for this car to see just how light i can make it.

The cam I'm using makes its power btwn 2500-6500 rpm. You could spin this motor to 7500 but there's no need with this cam grind. I'll likely use 40 or 44 mm Webers or Dellortos on this motor, haven't decided. I made a custom plate on the intakes [in pic] to turn the carbs 180 degrees so the fuel lines and adjustment screws are on the inside rather than out. The motor was run for 30 minutes. The oil looks fine.

I read that when tested on a dyno, the 11 blade Porsche fan drained 18 BHP on the Type IV [Raby dyno testing], I'm thinking of going with all electric engine cooling fans, and a separate fan [switched] for cabin heat.
    One flat electric fan on center like a 917 would be neat.
    Last edited by Fixer; 11-09-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Wayne Baker's famous IMSA GTU Series 914/4 racer [featured in September's Panorama] powered by it's original Type IV engine, cooled with electric fans.

The current owner Ron Mistak at Laguna Seca in 2011. Watch at around the 5 minute mark when he gets it going..
    he was later pulled in for a phantom oil leak. Note the switched electric fans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg8BhgWOVp0
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I took the time to build a better pivoting dolley and got started today on the right side longitudinal section. This 1968 chassis or unit body has more corrosion on this side which seems typical for US cars that i have been exposed to. The car had a bad pop rivet repair to the door lock post and pop riveted outer rocker. I removed it and got started prepping for metal repairs. I have to remove the original pinch welded rocker section flanges which were left on the car among other prep which is self explanatory.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

More..removing flanges and rust
    Cleaning out the inner section and post of debris.
    I'll prep the inner longitudinal section and get started welding hopefully tomorrow.
    Haverford Pennsylvania