Thread: early 911SC Cabriolet

early 911SC Cabriolet

I believe the best cars rarely get advertised; so too as it came to pass I was able to buy back my old '83 911SC Cabriolet.

This car was the 1st 911 Cabriolet delivered here in Australia, an early Oct '82 build car that I previously owned c.1997-2002. I made sure I kept a watchful eye on it and as of this past weekend it's back in my custodianship.

These early Cabs have a non M491 body without chip guards, a full tonneau that runs from the hood boot right over the cockpit to the base of the screen (think MGB) and are rare in that only 43 x 3.0l SC Cabs were sold locally in Aus. I prefer the non M491 Cabriolet's.

The 911 must currently be the only car where the Coupes are "achieving" more than the significantly rarer open top versions in our marketplace. Surely an anomaly.

I'm very glad it's back, the perfect companion to my 901 coupe.

Here's some inspiration.....

http://tune.pk/video/2229918/against...s-car-chase-hd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

'Rare' full length tonneau ?

I have seen very few 911 Cabriolets with this full length tonneau cover. This car has both this full tonneau and the normal hood boot for when the roof is lowered.

It fits onto the car with tennax fasteners in the standard locations, from across the rear hood boot to four additional fasteners at the base of the windscreen, and has a zip right up the middle so can be rolled back on the driver's side and driven with in situ. It has various straps to fasten it and the seats have to be reclined which is the only 'hassle' when fitting it.

These seem to be more like a true Speedster than the later homage car.

Question- was this an early car option, or standard issue up to a point or is this a "rare" fitment to this particular car, the first to come to Australia and a car which visited our local Motor Shows ?

Cheers

SK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

Beautiful car.
    The tonneau cover was an option. Yours is missing a tenax fastener that goes on the door moulding outside the window. Number 4 on the diagram. I wish I had a tonneau cover for mine, the roof would bnever go up, may to november.

original

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    Beautiful car.
    The tonneau cover was an option. Yours is missing a tenax fastener that goes on the door moulding outside the window. Number 4 on the diagram. I wish I had a tonneau cover for mine, the roof would bnever go up, may to november.
    Thanks George for this great response- the car's options are only listed as light alloy wheels (395) and air conditioner with front and rear condensers (559). No mention of the tonneau.

I've know this car and all it's owners since about 1990 and it's all original; there are several straps on the tonneau to secure it within the cockpit but there is no tennax on the door moulding nor is there a fastner on the tonneau cover itself. I wonder if it's an early version ?

Thanks again.

'98 986

Very nice Mr K, like it.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus