Thread: The Mullin Museum . . .

The Mullin Museum . . .

. . . is closing down

'Southern California has long been a nexus for noteworthy automobiles, the stylish and sophisticated creations that have stood the test of time, the lure of the open road, and our passing fancies.

One of the hallowed hubs for devotees of timeless vehicles, at least since 2010, has been the Mullin Automotive Museum.

Started by avid collectors Peter and Merle Mullin, the elegant Oxnard institution found inspiration in "20th-century French automotive styling" as well as "artifacts from the most-esteemed French master coachbuilders."

It's become a favorite for fans of automotive Art Deco flourishes and lavish touches, the extravagant details that became prevalent nearly a century ago. Eye-catching and sumptuous artworks and furniture have also been a major part of the extensive collection.

Now, the museum is set to shutter, "(i)n light of the passing of Peter Mullin in September 2023." The announcement was made on Jan. 17, 2024.

Further news adds an additional layer of poignancy to the revelation: Four of the museum's treasures, including a 1937 Talbot-Lago T150 CS 'Teardrop' were donated to the Petersen Automotive Museum on the Miracle Mile in Los Angeles.

It's a meaningful donation, as Mr. Mullin worked to help "transform" the Petersen into a world-class automotive destination, reveals the museum team.

"Sharing these 'rolling sculptures' and beautiful art with others was Peter's truest passion, and the museum helped bring that vision to life," said Merle Mullin, director of the Mullin Automotive Museum.

"We are deeply indebted to our staff, docents, volunteers, visitors and supporters who have dedicated their time and passion over the past 13 years. I hope past and first-time visitors will have a chance to say goodbye before we close."

The museum will be open on a "limited basis" through Feb. 10, 2024. If you'd like to visit, be sure to confirm open times and details before heading to Oxnard
    . . .'

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/the-sc...2017%2C%202024

Seem to recall this museum took over the former location of Otis Chandler's 'Vantage' collection?

I'm not much for French cars. But I've known about the place and every-so-often thought about going --- so if there was ever a time to go? . . . it's now

'Sides --- Oxnard would be a nice little drive

https://mullinautomotivemuseum.com/home/

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Unhappy

This is real shame...

2 former threads:

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...lin-Collection
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...que-quot-Coupe

Not only the best of best of mostly French Deco autos, but some of the best Deco furniture and décor anywhere !!!.....

Here's just a few from my 2009 visit....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

That is very sad news... a spectacular and important collection and an amazing venue. I spent about 5 hours going through it last January and was blown away. I've long been a fan of French cars, especially from the 30's, absolute art and engineering stand-outs.
    I'm happy to hear that some cars will be going to the Peterson Collection, but it's unfortunate that Peter Mullin didn't have a museum preservation plan in place. If you are anywhere near Oxnard, I would highly recommend checking it out before it's gone.

Here's a few shots...

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

I thought there was a Foundation in place to preserve the collection/museum ... shame there wasn't as this was a fabulous collection of some of the most beautiful and innovative cars of the 1920s and 1930s ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616