Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: any BMW 2002 folks in here ?

1972 BMW 2002 Baur Targa, Erstauslieferung Okt. 1972 bei Gerhard Schneider Freiburg (GS-Tuning) incl Service and Maintenance Book
    interior.jpg

engine compartment
    engine.jpg

My '72 I bought in '77 ..... I just love this little guy, fun but can't get into as much trouble as the 911
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMAG0899.jpg

This is a 1968 BMW 1600 Baur Voll Cabriolet #67 produced. I had it for several years but needed the funds to acquire a sweet 1992 RS (964). Very practical and easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by The chief View Post
    My '72 I bought in '77 ..... I just love this little guy, fun but can't get into as much trouble as the 911

front spoiler molded in?.....

car looks clean....geez almost 40 yrs of ownership.....kudos.....Ive had and sold 2 of them over 40 yrs...love them

Yeah, I had my body guy mold the air dam in. He did a great job and it looks so much cleaner than before.
    I did a body off resto in the late 80's all because of a mouse. The little bastard packed both frame rails with kibble that held water like a sponge and caused them to almost rust in two. He kind of did me a favor in hind sight though, I probably would not have restored the car to this level without his shenanigans. The little guy cost me about $40K and I never even caught him.

Tach 02

Alpina and the other prominent 02 tuning shops such as GS Tuning and Koepchen sometimes fitted mechanical tachos to their purpose built race cars. This hot rod 02 uses a period correct but made in the USA Trans Am solution that drives off the snout of the 300 Alpina sport cam.

Alpina used Smiths chronometric mechanical tachos and listed the piece in their Accessories folder. The Smiths instrument used a bell crank drive, similar to the one pictured in the second image below, which was fitted to a reworked timing gear cover and camshaft. Alpina sold the Smiths unit for DM 387 back in 1973.

The tacho on this hot rod however was made by Jones Instruments and is the chronometric tachometer most favored for its accuracy by the Trans Am teams of the late 60s and early 70s.
    Last edited by Flunder; 12-17-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

More: Tach 02

Here is the "ALPINA electrical tachometer with adjustable maximum revolution indicator. For installation into the instrument panel of the BMW 1602/1802/2002/Touring" and sold for DM 168.

This one was pulled many years ago from a rusty Euro 1602 that was parted out. The red indicator needle had gone astray.
    Early 911S Registry

way cool! Thanks for the post

Burkard Bovensiepen KG

Hallo Rick

You are welcome; glad you enjoyed seeing those old 2002 things.

Here is some old literature from the early days of the 02 as published by Burkard Bovensiepe KG in Buchloe, West Germany at the old ALPINA typewriter factory owned by his father.
    Early 911S Registry