Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is owning a Porsche today the same?

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    LOL
    I've owned Porsche's for 35+ years, from a '72 911S (owned for 13 years) to my current 2011 GT3RS 3.8 & 2015 GT3
    anyone who thinks a GT3/RS is "uninvolving" needs to have their head examined.
    Whenever I drive a longhood car now I am shocked at how slow the car is...not just acceleration but steering, shift, brakes, chassis stiffness (or should I say weakness), throttle response, etc.
    Not trying to diss the LH cars, I still love them that's why I am here...but to say the newer cars are dull ? Spend a day with a 997 RS or 991 GT3
    The cars are bigger & heavier yes (you can thank the govt and the fact we're bigger now) but operate at a much higher performance level
    From the REAL sport seats (LWB from the 918) to 12+compression ratio to 9000 rpm redline the Porsche GT cars are so much more than any early S

YMMV
    Different folks, different strokes, so it's good to get another opinion.

And while I haven't driven the cars you have mentioned, how about a Carrera GT?

It's not about the performance, but rather the sense of connection, and maybe being more on the limit.

BTW, I am not old, at least by early 911 standards!

I will say that my Tesla from 0-30mph is untouchable.
    Last edited by rower; 07-08-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    It's not about the performance, but rather the sense of connection, and maybe being more on the limit.
    I think this is what nails it. The limit now arrives at much bigger numbers (or closer to the turn in point with braking) and the prospect of seeing those limits on the road are virtually non-existent. My personal experience road and track is that all cars are pretty engaging at their own limits. Although the current crop of 22 variations on the 991 are bigger and bloated, they are astounding at the limit. Doesn't mean I'd swap my LHs for one though.
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Your point re: connection is well taken...and thats why I love the GT cars
    I owned a 996 Turbo for 10 years...great car (most reliable P car I've owned BTW), very fast.
    Then I got a 997 GT3, owned both for a year then sold the Turbo
    From engine sound to throttle response to turn-in steering response, the Turbo couldn't touch the GT3
    Friends would ask "which one is faster?" and I would respond "Turbo"
    When asked which one I would keep I would say "GT3" and they would always look puzzled....you wouldn't keep the faster car ???
    GT3 is ALL about connection, sensation and emotion....steering feel, throttle response that makes an MFI "S" feel lazy, and the sound !!!!!

I recently drove my childhood "Dream" car--73 911S---sunroof, sport seats, 2.7RS spec engine, etc.
    Beautiful well set up car that felt...lethargic. Slow steering, 2-foot shift throw, non supportive seats, etc. Couldn't believe how disappointed I was.
    Yet one of my best friends can't believe I drive this HUGE automatic 911 (991 GT3)....again, YMMV, to each his own, etc.
    Good news is there is no wrong answer here....and the best of course is to have one of each !

Bill

I drove a 1928 Bentley 4 1/2 liter on a short chasis, and couldn't have been more thrilled. Double clutching. Slow shifts. Massive torque but slow. Non existent brakes. And the lateral g grip was pretty darn low. But a time machine stimulating all my senses.

But I should try a gt3. Thanks for suggesting that.

Everything has its place.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

(Forgive me if I have been PC inconsiderate)

To me, "Our" cars are like our best favorite girl-ladies/girl friends/PC relationships: We know 'em, like 'em and often love 'em.

We are, more times than not, obsessed with them. We spend way too much money on them, there is almost no limit we won't do for them. If they need something, it is our honor to sacrifice and provide for them.

They like to be cared for AND handled in particular and of course, special ways. Oh and if you don't respect them AND their limits (which we all know all too well) they bite. Sorry but true. Sometimes with horrible results.

In their day, WOW! They were THE thing. There are newer, better dressed, better coiffed and waxed. But there's just something about squaring off with a well sorted early car and given it a good run. A real good run. Its just wonderful. Not everyone's preference ....

And yet, we love them. Oh do we love them. We will drive hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles to bring them to the best. Sparing almost nothing to keep them in their prime, in performance and appearance.

Our cars are about a relationship: a commitment. How many times have we thought/heard a Porsche is a commitment. Sometimes I have thought "what am I doing .... or this just simply pisses me off" and yet when I settle down and I come back, finding myself enjoying taking care of them once again.

I love my relationships.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

all the above is EXACTLY what the 356 guys said when the newfangled GT non-sports car called the 901 was debuted

they prolly complained about the gubmint too

I have a 2015 Nissan GTR that I daily drive, through snow (on occasion), to Costco/work/dragstrip/wherever. Although blisteringly fast it lacks the sounds, smells, and sense of occasion that surrounds driving my old 911 hot rod. It is the analog vs digital watch comparison, and some people will take an Apple watch over a meticulously crafted automatic, but not me. I can't imagine how wrong my garage would smell without my 911.
    Early 911 S Registry #2701
    930 powered 1973 911T

"the best of course is to have one of each"

My favorite solution
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Our society has asked for "easier" which has directed our products to be "less involving" IMHO. I don't think it's specific to cars at all. Next up: not doing it all... self-driving cars.

If I actually rake leaves in my yard, people laugh and say I should use an powered blower instead. Raking is certainly more involved but requires attention and a bit of effort.

OR - a When was the last time I used a screwdriver when a cordless drill was handy?

Just advancements in technology. I like some modern cars too. Depends on what I want or need to do.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)