Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is owning a Porsche today the same?

This conversation is timely as I am contemplating what to drive to RRV. My '69E has made the drive west enough to find the way by itself, and it is always a satisfying journey. I drove the C4 Targa out for the Lit Show, and once I found tha long distance driving position (electric seats) comfortable, it felt familiar enough yet with just a touch of refinement. Not to much, mind you, but it made it interesting. Oh and yeah that extra torque. Been considering a break in trip in the GT3, not sure if I would miss the longhood experience too much. Might have to find out in the real world. Well still time to think about it. At the end of the day I could not imagine not having the option to climb into an early 911 or 356. 'Involved' is a good way to describe it, too much of life today is lived in an insulated bubble with our faces stuck in our iPhone/pad/watch.
    Go out and drive an old car, it's good for you.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

"The GT3 RS is so much more than any early S" Yes, of course. But I don't need nor can I use the hp of the new stuff on the street. For me it is a matter of perspective. My 73S feels like a modern rocket compared to a drive in my old speedster. Then there is the hands on maintenance issue. I do not have the knowledge to work on the new cars. The nearest good shop is eight hours away so I am happy with my primitive cars. And they do smell good.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I don't know what the average age is in the forum but I would think I'm in the lower to mid end, I am 44 and have been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember, I have raced cars in professional leagues and have done many track days, motorcycle and car, so I have a certain amount of "feel" I would say. My Porsche experience has been in the last few years, I started with a 1996 993 which i do DE Track days with the PCA. The bug hit me, I worked my way back in time to a 964, a 1985 Targa and a 1971 Hotrod.
    I have owned and driven may cars, amazing cars, Ferrari's Mclaren (at the track) etc. I can say that the experience I get with the older air cooled Porsches is very special, not to try to convince the whole world to come back to basics and drive an older Porsches, but, for a certain few, that analog experience is without comparison. For me it was and I can say that I feel very connected to these cars, especially the 1971, It requires my full attention and engagement and It tells me what is going on, It makes me be very aware and engages all my senses. It is very rewarding when I drive it well...

Cheers

Tony
    Nothing like a well driven 9-Elfer....

E911SR Member# 3270

1971 911T Andial, RGruppe
    1985 Targa
    1990 Cab
    1996 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by csbush View Post
    "the best of course is to have one of each"

My favorite solution
    BINGO!!!! I love my old ones. And my big bloated 997's, my god they are fast!
    Clarke
    Early S Registry member #3172

Current
    Race: 10 GT3 pca-GT2, (2) 78 911 pca-E 3.2L
    Street: 05 997S Launch, 75 911S Gemini Blue 3.0L, 68 912

Past
    68 912, 68 911, 69 911T, 71 911T, 72 911T, 73 911T, 73.5 911T, 75 911S, 77 911, 82 911SC, 91 964 C4, 02 996 cab, 05 997S Launch, 06 997 C4S cab, 10 Cayenne GTS, 11 GT3RS, 11 GT3RS

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." Arthur

drive um if you have um
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I just don't seem to get any satisfaction from modern sports cars. New Porsche's frankly strike me as bloated, dull and uninvolving.
    The issue IMO is that modern Porsches are pushing the envelope for road use. To have the level of fun and engagement in a modern 991 that you have with an early car at slightly-above-legal speeds, you have to be doing stuff that will get your license revoked and your ass thrown in jail. On track, modern P-cars are just as involving and amusingly similar in characteristics, it's just happening a higher limit.

I do deplore the dissapearance of the gearbox in the GT3/RS though !

Personally I love the Cayman S as the spiritual torch bearer to the early 911s, it feels great even at lower speeds and retains a nimbleness that is evocative of the early cars. The best situation one can experience is to own one modern and one classic and alternate, feels great switching both ways !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Having saved all my nickels and dimes by May of 1974, and having read and re-read every single published article about the 911, I decided to undertake a search for a 1973 911E. Found a very lightly used one with just a few thousand miles on it and equipped just as I wanted it: sport seat coupe in Light Ivory with an Am-Fm radio. Purchased it for $9500 and drove it every day until it was stolen in December 1981. As much as a young man (age 20 at purchase) can love a car, I loved that car. But I also recognized its limitations; not terribly fast off the line (0-60 in 6.7 seconds) an MFI system that ran rough above 2000 feet and was frequently too rich or too lean; and few creature comforts (but at age 20, who need them?)

The car was elemental in the sense that it felt like an extension of my will and modest driving skills. I loved to drive it. I loved to clean it. I loved working on it (changing oil, spark plugs, etc.). And I loved owning it.

Today, 41 years later, I still remember it with much fondness, almost like a first love. But, now at age 61, my 997 cabriolet, along with my 2013 Boxster and my 2014 Cayman S are all fantastic! They are fun, involving, far less trouble to keep running smoothly, and replete with creature comforts (working air conditioning, for one. Satellite radio for another) that rank higher in importance when one wears a suit and tie for a living. I tend to feel that the Cayman S is the one spiritually closest in its driving experience to my 1973 E. it's got adequate horsepower but it's no rocket ship. I have to drive it, shift it (manual shift, of course!) and concentrate my skills to have the greatest amount of enjoyment from it. When the car and I are in the "zone" it's every bit as satisfying as my old 73, albeit in a slightly different way. I've tried PDK, and have friends who swear by it, but I just can't drink that Kool Aid. What I wanted from Porsche as a young man at 20 I still want from Porsche at 61, and the company has by and large delivered. Each of us answers the question differently but with the exception of the absence of the door "ping" there is nothing about the driving experience of my old car that isn't well replaced and enhanced by the new ones. As others have said, it's just one man's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
    As others have said, it's just one man's opinion.
    Nah, it's 2 now... I agree on the Cayman S for the exact same reasons...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    all the above is EXACTLY what the 356 guys said when the newfangled GT non-sports car called the 901 was debuted

they prolly complained about the gubmint too
    I was one of those guys! I, eventually, came around. Haven't stopped complaining about the gubmint, though.

Ciao

Jim

All this talk about new Porsches has me lusting for a Cayman GT4. I could sell one of my 356s, buy one of those, and have plenty of gas money, too boot!
    I have never owned a brand new Porsche and I have never owned a Porsche that depreciated. That would be a new experience!

Regards

Jim
    62 356B Cabriolet (owned since 1979)
    65 356C Coupe (owned since 1990)
    71 911T Sepia Brown Sunroof Coupe (owned since 1973) Now a RGruppe Hotrod.