Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is owning a Porsche today the same?

as the OP my other point is has t the average driver changed over the decades or have we all changed equally? Wasn't it a special club before and now not? Or is that too elitist? Basically a modern sports car requires no compromises now?

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES

When I got my first 64 C in 75' I was just a pup but wanted everyone to notice me...driving a Porsche!! Now I have the same (but different 64 C) and I don't want anyone to see me.

I thought I was really cool in the 356 until I got my first 911 (a 71 E) then I was really cool until I met someone that had an "S"........It all boils down to what your thinking when you drive one of these "extensions" of our "Manhood". Boy was I "F_cked-up! Probably still am I guess!!!

Don't know what I would do if I had a new Porsche (although I have new VW's)....I've had the same wife for more than 40 years and she still lets me drive her now and again...not looking for a new one of those either!!

Hey wait, I just remembered, I have a few water 911 Racecars...o-yea, I have never driven either of em!

KJ

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    as the OP my other point is has t the average driver changed over the decades or have we all changed equally? Wasn't it a special club before and now not? Or is that too elitist? Basically a modern sports car requires no compromises now?
    of course, sports cars have added all sorts of luxury features nowadays - for example, they all have roll-up windows now

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I don't think the average driver/owner of a new Porsche has changed that much. They were extravagant, very expensive cars "back in the day" are still are.
    They offered a level of performance and luxury that was above and beyond almost all other cars in the old days and still do. I think a modern 911 still requires "compromises" and that is one of it's virtues. They, certainly, ain't for the masses.

Regards

Jim

I disagree - when new to the US, Porsche & BMW were mostly bought by the technically astute - engineers and so forth. Nowadays they are just bought by rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    I disagree - when new to the US, Porsche & BMW were mostly bought by the technically astute - engineers and so forth. Nowadays they are just bought by rich people.
    You win. No argument here.

Jim

what do I win? something used I assume - just as long as it has patina

I test drove a Cayman GTS & a Boxster GTS about 1 month ago.
    Both were great cars & to me the closest new car replacment for our early 911.
    When we drove our 1970 911t home after the test drive it felt like an antique.
    A week later I drove our 1978 Alfa Spider, it made the 70 911 feel like a super car.
    I drive a 92 Miata in the city. It's a blast to drive, You can drive the Hell out of it & stay out of trouble.
    They are cheap, easy to work on, you can park it anywhere & not worry about it.
    All these cars have several thing in common.
    They are all fun to drive but in different ways.
    50 years from now they will still be running becuase you can still work on them yourself.
    The new cars with all the computers & electrical , plastic stuff scare me when the are out of warranty.
    I do want the Cayman but we will end up with a used Boxster instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    Porsches were always bought by rich people- they were and still are expensive cars. There are all types of folks that buy them- for all types of reasons. I just don't see that has changed.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Chuck, good points. Years ago when I worked for them, we did several buyer pyscho-demographic marketing studies, in part looking at whether the 911 should be continued. Performance and prestige were almost equal in buyer's main reasons for purchase.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709