Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Is owning a Porsche today the same?

Why an Early 911?

For me? . . .

. . . I think the attraction of an Early 911 is the same now as it was then

I've always liked the size/feel of smaller cars, in general. I grew up thinking that Murican cars were 'tits' --- and that dinky/stinky European cars were for weirdos. I had a big/bad Trans Am in school --- killer 'date car' . . . stripper Super-Duty 455 + 4-speed, Buccaneer Red, screaming chicken, spoilers/scoops/'billboards' --- w/ an End-of-Civilization sound-track . . . something that I used mostly to scare people. Me included. Then I started driving it to work, burning through a big chunk o' my wages just keepin' gas in it. $maller, thank you. Ended-up using my Sis' '68 VW, getting a couple, myself, and, well . . .

. . . here I am

For me? --- an Early 911 had the attraction of being a small sturdy/useable car --- like my Sis' . . . w/ some decent horse-power to make it fun

Money's always a consideration, I suppose --- but that hasn't changed since these cars were new. Back Then, like now . . . there were always faster/more-powerful/etc-etc-etc alternatives. What did a ZL-1 Camaro cost in '70? Or a Cobra? Or a GTO --- yeah, THAT one?

And today? Still, LOTS to choose from --- including Porsches . . . most w/ really-shattering performance . . . the kind that many owners can't wait to share about

And, yet? . . .

. . . here they are. On an Early 911 site

Here we all are

I love the Early Car's compactness --- the way everything's been condensed into this tidy/intimate package. I'm tall --- my So-Much-More-than-a-Girlfriend is tall . . . yet we both fit comfortably. I love the dash --- all very scientific-looking, comprehensive + easy-to-read . . . and the view --- front, sides, back. The car courses over the road in this unique athletic sorta way --- chatty, not yappy or harsh . . . steering wheel feeding back. And I can listen to that motor all day

When I want it, there's considerable performance there --- >4k in 3rd is shocking, still . . . but mostly? --- what I enjoy is all the involvement the car requires. Gear-choice + shifting, revs/power-band, road-surface, traffic, sounds, smells . . .

Using an Early 911 --- just as a car --- is, for me . . .

. . . all-consuming. And thrilling

I feel like a hero every time I drive it . . .

. . . which is why I bought it, in the first place

We Can Be Heroes

Is owning a Porsche today the same? . . .

. . .

Attached Images Attached Images           

We Can Be Heroes

These new Porsches have the VW corporate grille — but just flipped upside down. Sad.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    These new Porsches have the VW corporate grille — but just flipped upside down. Sad.
    I am comforted, but not in a good way, knowing that I'm not alone in seeing that.

Name:  69474697.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  80.2 KB
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    The nearest good shop is eight hours away so I am happy with my primitive cars.
    With each new technological creep, primitive has become similar to the Holy Grail. Workmanship and skills of guys who
    have passed on:

Name:  aurelia.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  52.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Best justification for all-electric 911 — no front grill needed, can revert to original Porsche style.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic