Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum's imput requested - possible 2.0T purchase

I would be suspicious of a car that had a bare-metal respray only five years ago and is already showing significant rust. That door jamb rust doesn't happen overnight -- it's a sign of corrosion that goes much deeper than the exterior metal. Perhaps the only spots that weren't done right five years ago are the ones where the rust is coming through. Or maybe there's more lurking.

After much thinking, number crunching (I must have the head rule the heart), and reading the input I got here, I will pass on that car. Seems obvious from the outside, but not necessarily from where I stand. I can tackle most anything myself, so the tech details did not bother me too much (ign switch, setbelts, headliner, steering wheel). But the body work and abviously wrong tone slate grey make this a non-viable proposition, unless the seller lowers the price more that I think he would want to.

A huge thanks for the opinions I got here and privately. I will get to the next car, hoping to visit it soon:

http://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/d/porsc...&vehid=2729769

I am not a big fan of the yellow, I think it has fake Fuchs and H5s, and I could do wihtout the door panels as they are, but these are not redhibitory details.
    I'll update as it goes.
    Last edited by GeorgeK; 07-26-2015 at 11:46 PM.

I thought my 911L would need 5 to $7000 in rust repair. It turned out to be $15,000 in metal work. the car is striped of the interior, suspension is all out and bearings redone. Its easy to take a car apart. the hard part is putting it back together because every piece has to be looked at and determine reinstall or get new. That takes a lot of time and $$$$$. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

That is exactly my fears. I am *NOT* touching a car with rust, unless it is dirt cheap.
    In the meantime, the yellow car in Etoy is no longer for sale, another seller did not even answer my emails, and a buyer for my cab flaked on me. Oh well.... I found a sweet 2.4 CIS T but could not reach a common ground with the seller. I am not the greatest fan of CIS for the early cars, though.
    Only good news is, I got my 964 back from an engine reseal/revision, AC fill, and boy is it nice... First world problems indeed.

Well there is currently a two owner 1970 911T and it looks flawless.
    Priced at 120k so no steal but probably ready to drive. From the same seller you initially checked the 2.0T. (No affiliation)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  86.1 KB
    Registry member No.773

Yup, saw that one when I was there. far too much money for me.
    Intereting point about the seller: When I visited, the grey 2.0T was 78K. I pointed out the sill (and extensice driver's door) rust to him. Since that, the price of the same car went *up*, first to 84, now 89K, without mention of the rust in the ad, nor of the other flaws I found...

Edit: it is 90K, and the seller specifies "no rust" in the ad.
    Last edited by GeorgeK; 08-07-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Another prospekt . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Coupe-For-Sale

What's the shipping gonna cost?

We Can Be Heroes

Saw it thank you.
    Trying to line up my ducks.
    Looks good from here.
    PM sent to the seller, we'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by GeorgeK; 08-14-2015 at 12:51 AM.

regardless of what the seller wants - it appears from several high profile auctions that buyers are saying good T's are in the $50-60K range - it appears the market is getting "frothy" be careful as you might see a correction coming and for a price pushing 100k you could be upside down for a very long time
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Thanks for the advice. I tend to agree with you. A market correction is coming, sooner or later. Not by much, but it is coming.
    as for me, my budget is very much cast in stone, so I won't overspend.