Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piston Oil squirter installation

Piston Oil squirter installation

Hello,
    I could need your help, because I would like to ugrade an 1969E engine with a bigger oil pump, oil bypass modification and the piston oil squirters. But now I would like to get soem further information about the exact oil squirters modification.

• Do you have any informations or a guideline how to install the oil squirters in detail?
    • How do you have to drill the crankcase correctly?

I know about the process, but unfortunately I don’t have measure (angle and position) for the correct drilling and installation in the case. It’s quite difficult to get a proper workshop here in the region, who would know about it. But I

Best regards

Name:  060205_-_0017.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  piston squirter.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  32.8 KB

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    It's a machine shop job. Someone like Ollie's who has done it 100's of times. G

It would be nice if we knew where "here in the region " is.
    Bob B

Sorry guys....here in the region means "Lake Geneva" in France, Switzerland. I know about the machine shop job and this isn't the problem. I have access and knowledge of CNC machining. I just would like to get information about the best procedure.... even a "sketch" about the correct drilling would be enough. The oil bypass modification I have done, but I am not 100% sure about the oil squiter modification.

Hello guys,
    I am coming back for the correct installation of the oil squirters. I would need information about the correct angle and diameter for the correct drilling of the holes for the oil squirters.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find these information in the manuals or the internet. I would measure it from some later cases, but I have only early cases without squirters.

Name:  Squirter.jpg
Views: 2635
Size:  158.1 KB

Hi all, anyone has performed this machining and can help with the questions raised before? I'm about to do this on an aluminum case but it's really hard to find precise info...

+ Lucas

I have been interested in all of the pump modifications for some time and I wonder what are the benefits we obtain.

I understand the reason for the By-Pass modification as it means that the scavenging of the crankcase improves but I am not really sure why we need larger pressure section unless the flow of the squirters is significant and causes oil pressure issues.

I would think that if we increase the flow of the pump all we will do is push more oil into the pressure relief circuit and slightly increase parasitic losses.

The early pump seems to have a larger scavenge section than the later pumps which increase the pressure section at the cost of the scavenge side.

I would tend to believe that even with the By-Pass mod the larger the scavenge side the better particularly at high revs.

We run our 2.0 litre FIA engine on an early pump with the By-Pass mod and without squirters.

It runs to 8500rpm, it has a cross-drilled counter weighted crank and has been reliable, the oil pressure is good and engine temperatures are stable.

I would be really interested to know the reduction in piston crown temperatures due to the use of squirters which Porsche clearly believed were required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeager View Post
    Hi all, anyone has performed this machining and can help with the questions raised before? I'm about to do this on an aluminum case but it's really hard to find precise info...

+ Lucas
    +1 on this one. My case was done by Ollie's but squirters were not installed as I thought to use birals. But going for these new Mahles which are Nikasil coated even on 80mm form means (afaik) that this modification is needed. No-one (even good machine shops) knows here what to do which means that I have to send case to UK (not that bad as we lived there but usual suspects e.g Redtek are too booked to do this or to even reply if they are willing ro do it or not) or get very accurate information to machine shop over here.
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Original oil jets factory installed mid 70 I believe, operate at 42-56 psi and 6 nozzles produce 66 gal per hr @ 6000 rpm. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Original oil jets factory installed mid 70 I believe, operate at 42-56 psi and 6 nozzles produce 66 gal per hr @ 6000 rpm. Gordon
    Very helpful – thanks.

I found another article which states that the squirters reduce piston crown temperature by 50 degC - which is interesting but does seem to be on the high side if you look at typical published data.

The velocity of the oil jet also seems to have a significant effect as does oil viscosity.

Even so temperature reductions of this type must be significant particularly when poor fuel is used but I think this impact would reduce with reducing compression ratio.

I image that the Sunoco Race Fuel we use helps in this respect.

I have also found articles which suggest that the 4 rib pump has an 8% longer pressure section and hence an 8% shorter scavenge than a 3 rib pump.

We will measure some of the pumps we have and tey to understand more about the optimum pump design.