Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCRS air cleaner cover

954 Air cleaner details

The 954 air filter housing is much taller that the street 9ll one shown in John's photo. 954 draws air in from the elbow that is facing the firewall, air enters the center of the filter cartridge. Since the 954 comes with a solid cover in the rear thats removable, the factory offered a mesh screen cover for rally, along with 4 different air filter cartridges. So when you use the mesh cover you are drawing air in from both ends of the housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    So, can unfiltered air get around the outside of the filter and into the engine? I can't tell from the picture where it's sealed.
    No, air still goes through the stock type air filter
    Last edited by RSTarga; 07-22-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I should expand that i got the idea off the SCRS for the mesh front cover but i guess i could just call it a sport purpose cover or r-gruppe style? just something different.
    the cover is made to fit all MFI air boxes and might match the carb ones to.
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

John, Great SCRS style air cleaner cover you made. I needed something similar along with the main air cleaner housing for my high butterfly engine. I decided to try and convert some 2.4T stacks and a set of HB aluminum stacks and see if I could make a complete SCRS style air filter housing & filter for my engine. Some photos of the project..

Name:  31scrs1.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  31scrs2.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  31scrs3.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  31scrs4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  31scrs5.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  141.0 KB
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

member #1515
    That engine is a work of art.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    John, Great SCRS style air cleaner cover you made. I needed something similar along with the main air cleaner housing for my high butterfly engine. I decided to try and convert some 2.4T stacks and a set of HB aluminum stacks and see if I could make a complete SCRS style air filter housing & filter for my engine. Some photos of the project..

Engine looks really good, Mark. The mod work on the plastic stacks is very neat. Just a thought...it would look more period if you powder coated the aluminum horns in black.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

thats super cool , very fine mesh so no filter inside ?
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Beautiful job. Here's one Auto Associates made for a friend's 3.2 SS MFI car.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi

The fine meshed version looks terrific and I would love to replace my snorkel with it. Just wondering - and apologize if that is a question that has been discussed before, still very much on a learning curve here - wouldn't the swap to the SCRS style air cleaner cover change the amount of air the engine can suck in, i.e. more air? Wouldn't that have an impact on air-fuel-ratio etc.?
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post

They look good.

I just found some originals...not cheap or easy to come by.

I'm also in talks with someone about reproducing the original-style SCRS stacks.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687