Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last 'Real' M3 . . .

The Last 'Real' M3 . . .

'91 e30 M3:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

White on black, 4780 miles, $50k

We Can Be Heroes

I promised myself a long time ago that the E30 M3 was the only BMW that I'd allow myself to own ... until I found out about the 2002 Tii ... and then 3.0 CSL ... and then the Alpina cars ... and and and.

But it's the 4-banger E30 cars that really make my heart flutter. Truly cool little street sweepers, and they give early 911s hell on the racetrack.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Marco, I'd allow you to own mine. What do you have hiding in the shop to trade that i might be interested in?

$50k for an M3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . But it's the 4-banger E30 cars that really make my heart flutter. Truly cool little street sweepers, and they give early 911s hell on the racetrack.
    There's a video on YouTube --- I think someone posted it on this site --- in-car video of a 996 GT3 blasting-off around the Nurburgring. The car takes out some track-purpose cars, even some motorcycles, but about two-thirds of the way through his lap comes up on one car he can't get by, and not that he isn't trying. It was one of these cars.

They're not exactly rare, and not really 'pretty.' But it's car you have to drive to believe. Not the quickest car, but on an open road, in corners, over just about any surface, probably one of the fastest, handiest, and all-round easiest cars to drive and live with, that I've ever owned. Really special, too. Every body panel is unique; the only panel it shares with other BMWs is the engine cover. Even the doors are unique. Plastic trunk and rear sail. Unique powertrain, suspension, etc.

Most of these cars are driven and enjoyed, all their lives. Virtually all of them are modified, seldom well. Many end up as track cars. Very few have this kind of mileage. The price is high, but if you buy it, then you can't really drive it. Which is the ONLY point of this car --- or any Real M3.

The other issue is, for this kind of money . . . you could probably buy, import, then convert one of the 600 Sport Evolutions . . . which are even MORE M3.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    But it's car you have to drive to believe. Not the quickest car, but on an open road, in corners, over just about any surface, probably one of the fastest, handiest, and all-round easiest cars to drive and live with, that I've ever owned.

The price is high, but if you buy it, then you can't really drive it. Which is the ONLY point of this car --- or any Real M3.
    Well said. My car is no where near that one in terms of mileage but it is - unfortunately - an unmolested garage queen. That's why it's for sale. I would be much happier with a driver-level car. I would love to go out and beat the hell out of an e30 M3 - that's what they're made for. The only time I've driven mine aggressively and with other cars was a fun drive last year - let's just say I had no problem whatsoever keeping up with a number of more modern/more powerful/more expensive sports cars on some twisty 2-laners.

This place usually has a few of the "real" ones.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?f...4_0=1&x=20&y=9

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Yukon M3

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    I would be much happier with a driver-level car. I would love to go out and beat the hell out of an e30 M3 - that's what they're made for.
    I know what you mean. I got my 2nd one with 34k mi --- still a little beat --- so I fixed everything, did a few tweaks, thought about socking it away (for about a second!). . . . then took it up the AlCan to Fairbanks. Here's a picture up in the Yukon --- it's August but the locals told me they'd had snow the previous week.

Best 8500 miles I ever spent in a car. (Dirt doesn't hurt!) Only sold it to buy the Porsche. Still belong to the M3 Special Interest Group; lotta Guys there have both.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Marco, I'd allow you to own mine. What do you have hiding in the shop to trade that i might be interested in?
    I have an unfinished, matching-numbers 914/6 and a fry-your-brain Ducati Hypermotard ...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The Duc is out .... I already told you my wife won't give me a hall pass for a 2-wheeler

The AlCan in an M3 Now that's my kind of drive!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    I know what you mean. I got my 2nd one with 34k mi --- still a little beat --- so I fixed everything, did a few tweaks, thought about socking it away (for about a second!). . . . then took it up the AlCan to Fairbanks. Here's a picture up in the Yukon --- it's August but the locals told me they'd had snow the previous week.

Best 8500 miles I ever spent in a car. (Dirt doesn't hurt!) Only sold it to buy the Porsche. Still belong to the M3 Special Interest Group; lotta Guys there have both.
    That is a Really nice "M" LongRanger!! Bet you miss it! I went the other way and sold my 911 for the M3. I'll pass on the M3 to my son eventually, and get back into a 911, but for now I really dig mine.

Curt has a really sweet M-car and to have the 911 also must be awesome., and like the 911 they are meant to be driven and driven hard.

Here's my 89 Lachs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1993 964 C2 GPW
    1973 BMW 2002 Verona (Daily)
    1974 914 2.0 Project A/X (in progress)
    1972 911T 2.4 Webers - SOLD
    89 BMW M3 Lachs - my former DD - SOLD
    https://youtu.be/QrF6VEVh1NQ