Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Win Magnus junk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    Yet you have a giant hard-on for him since he crashed. Can't leave "well said" alone, can you?
    Feel free to ironise and ridicule.
    George,
    I hope this thread goes on for years- that's what forums are for. Without the free expressions of diversified individuals this place would look like the New York Times editorial section. Bravo for your post; it's comments like yours that keep this thread alive!

Do you have kids George? If one of them did a stupendously idiotic thing that could have ended the life of another person would you be ok just telling them they did a stupid thing? I would hope there would be hearty discipline and chastisement to go along with it so that they would learn a life lesson. There has to be fruit to repentance and two critical ingredients are asking for forgiveness and administering restitution (if applicable). If Magnus doesn't make a public apology and convince me that he "has learned his lesson" I'll probably stay on this... but MW isn't what this is about. For me it's our culture's obsession with entertainment and recreation at the expense of others. MW is a great tool to teach the potential devastating consequences of this. (Yes, pun intended.) As a concerned citizen for the welfare of our nation it is absolutely my right and privilege to champion this cause. (As long as I don't violate the rules here.)

David said it most magnificently in post #120: My enjoyment of personal freedom does not privilege me to impinge on the freedom of others.

George, I respect you and your opinion but obviously I disagree with you. I think MW is a careless dumbass but I still respect him as a human being. This idea that we can't criticize someone and appreciate them at the same time is preposterous. And it also doesn't presume that I am not a dumbass myself sometimes.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 08-30-2015 at 02:05 PM.

SOME FAMOUS WORDS TO LIVE BY ........

Rules are for little people
    Of course I respect rules (as long as they don't get in my way)
    Why spend my $ when I can so easily take it from the tax payer
    Well if you must know - I have no comment
    Of course it makes sense (for you)
    and my favorite
    Do unto others but only after you have confiscated all their resources (but do it with a big smile)
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I follow MW on Facebook and Instagram. I enjoy the photos.

I would have loved to have seen Magnus own up to his stupidity. He could have said something. Instead we see strategically taken pictures of 277, where the damage can't be seen and not a word about the accident. Come on.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

I didn't have an opinion until now.

I've enjoyed the whole Magnus thing, I've watched the videos, and I don't mind anyone managing to make a living out of these old cars - another 50 years and they'll just be an oddity for my grand kids to laugh at and no longer a lifestyle icon. Is he an aggrandiser; promoting himself as an expert; a genuine oracle of the 911? I dunno. I don't really care, and I don't buy the products.

I don't expect and Magnus doesn't owe me, or any person on this interweb thingy an apology... Only the lady in his passenger seat left fearful and bruised, and the driver of the Pagoda for a hell of a fright should expect a meek and humble apology from the Bearded One. And I'm $ure they'll get one, one way or another...

He was driving like an arse. He got bit. It's happened to us all.

All this tub-thumping reminds me of a bible belter with a syndicated TV show and hot-line to donate to his church getting caught pants down in a cubicle with a guy called Bruce. The TV show gets dropped, the charity winds up and a tearful wife forgives her meal ticket. They move to a new location and set up again. #277 will rise (albeit in a video game), and the Church of Fame will live on.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I like this reply over on 914World by "Major Member":

"Probably 3% of the people on Earth who own sports cars have not done something stupid at some point. Of the other 97%, most probably don't pay much price for it, but when they do, why is there a need to lynch the guy and act like you have never driven somewhat less than safe? You have. We all have. It is part of owning a performance car. You don't buy it or build it to drive the speed limit and wave hi to the neighbors.

I am not saying that we should all just go out and be idiots, but I would not believe you if you told me that when you take your 914 out for a ride on public roads that you obey any and all laws. If so, then why not just buy a Camry or Malibu?"

Also to add that MW does not owe an apology to me or anyone here, just to the passenger in his car and the MB driver. I would bet that this will happen one way or another!!
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I'm gonna guess because most of us have not appeared in 150 magazine articles, published several movies about how cool we are, and used that to promote our business... The odds of being called on driving like an idiot are small if you are fairly anonymous (yes we all did it - preferably not with passenger) , less so when you are being filmed for yet another self promoting event with a journalist on board and crash into the truck that delivered you there. Schadenfreude, egg on face, not hard to understand. I try not to judge, but this is kinda funny...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Bingo. He's created a public persona, and with that a different set of expectation of behavior. So what if we're all guilty of the same? We (well, most of us) don't have the same influence that a Magnus does.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Frank, are you sure you're not trying to suppress any feelings by all this beating up? It's ok if you in fact like Magnus or what he does, or if you wish you grew a beard ten years ago. Really. And if you ever want to express those feelings we're here for you and we'll love you just the same, you know that.

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kouwenhoven View Post
    Frank, are you sure you're not trying to suppress any feelings by all this beating up? It's ok if you in fact like Magnus or what he does, or if you wish you grew a beard ten years ago. Really. And if you ever want to express those feelings we're here for you and we'll love you just the same, you know that.
    this made me shoot diet coke out of my nose. true story.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kouwenhoven View Post
    Erik,

All this beating up? I've seen better slugfests in the sandbox when my kids were in diapers.

I'm just getting warmed up!

But I do feel better after my recent surgery in China:
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/0...stool-removed/