Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: '15 Motorsports Reunion……….AKA Monterey Car Week

Another set, with this group of photos concentrating on the extensive display of Briggs Swift Cunningham Junior's home-grown and produced racecars, with which he so valiantly and earnestly tried for many years to win the 24 hour race at LeMans. His life is more than enough for a major literary project, and well beyond the scope of what I'm doing here, but may I heartily recommend to those with interest to learn more about this unique individual who did so much more than merely spend his inheritance on fast cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

The penultimate set, starting out with a series of Lincoln Continentals.

It saddens me greatly to have to end this thread on a negative note, but at day's end my traditional walk to the shuttle-bus stop to get a ride to the !7-mile Drive coastal-road stop where my long-suffering wife picks me up after my Concours marathon, always takes me out through the "Concept Car Display Area', which is actually the practice green in front of the Lodge and the course pro-shop. The displays are frequently world-premieres of new cars by the most exclusive manufacturers, loaded with innovation and fresh thinking…….none of which was discernibly present this year. One got the distinct impression that everybody is running on empty, and judging by the decidedly mediocre showing of the meager offerings that were on display, simply didn't bother to show up at all.

Photos #5 and 10 are the only two that bore any resemblance to traditional corporate images of the respective Companys, with the grey sedan being shown by Buick, a car I can readily envision being a topline representative of the brand and the red coupe in photo #10 showing what will be the next iteration of the Audi R8, this time without its signature bare carbon-fiber panel and raw looks………….way too much TT in it, in my opinion - the rest, just far-fetched, outlandish hibrids with little redeeming value or reason to produce in large numbers, and none of the charming & daring tongue-in-cheek frivolity of years past.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-24-2015 at 03:08 AM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

We've come to the final set, starting with a rear view of the 2017 Audi R8. I submit that the car in photos #6, 7 & 8, the 'ICONA Vulcano Titanium' was the only remotely interesting, plausible study among all the concept cars with a realistic chance of limitied production - its design claims to be based on aerodynamic principles utilized in the design of the SR-71 Blackbird fighter-interceptor-spy plane, starting with all-titanium construction, a world's first in automobiles, and is powered by a 670 HP ZR1 motor for a potential 220mph top speed. The thread concludes with a photo of the striking looking Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing I saw at multiple venues all week long, and which very much caught my eye.

For the umpteenth time, I'd like to emphasize that I do not do this for reasons of personal aggrandizement, I do it because I sincerely believe there are members out there who are interested and would love to attend and see all there is to see, but for one reason or other couldn't make it happen this year.

Thank you for logging on and taking a look, and thanks for all the supplemental comments and kind words.

The next "big thing" which I propose to cover in a similar format will be the upcoming "RENNSPORT REUNION V".

Thanks again, and all the Best

John Z. Goriup
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-01-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Thumbs up

Excellent work as always John...

Thanks again for your outstanding contributions to this forum......

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

What is the car in the last picture of post #100?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    What is the car in the last picture of post #100?
    Max, it's a '51 Cunningham C-1 Roadster, owned by the Revs Institute for Automtive Research, i.e. the Collier Collection. Upon Cunningham's death, Miles Collier, who was Cunningham's schoolmate at Yale, eventually purchased the Cunningham Collection virtually in total.

I should have spent more time providing the important details on this car, since it's probably the most significant of all the Cunninghams at the Concours. Built in '51 with a Cadillac V8 motor, it is the first prototype of the B.S. Cunningham Company of West Palm Beach, FL, and thus was in effect the first all-American post-war sportscar. It was actually shipped to LeMans prior to the race and used for practice by the drivers to get used to the Sarthe circuit.

Please see attached photo below for another view.

JZG

olde thread alert!

To our newer members, when you have a few spare moments, suggest you peruse this vintage thread. Enjoy!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thumbs up

OUTSTANDING choice for a resurrected thread Peter !!!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter