Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver/Red 69S Restoration

When I initially stripped the car down for work on the body, the oil system was left in place. One of the few things I was unhappy about on the return of the body (and separate pieces) was the wrench marks on the one fitting. It may have been prior in the life of the car though, so not assigning any blame - these things were pretty dirty when the car left.

I found some close-ups that better show the front part of the system, and the one fitting after I assembled it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I'm oddly attracted to the whole oil cooler system on the 69, buy hey, this is 906 territory. Perhaps too many pictures, but its amazing how much I've learned, and been able to verify, through the pictures on this great site.

And of course if/where I have made a mistake, I'm certain one of you will catch it, and I'm all ears

As you can see, I did elect to drop the undercoating and engine/trunk coating, for now anyway.

A cool feature of the car was the motometer outdoor gauge. But it irked me that it had been located in a non-standard location. I'm not certain how many were installed in Germany vs the US, but note that most are leftmost on the console.

Initially i had the hole plugged, thinking I would leave the car as it likely left the factory. But then I got to know the first owner, and changed my mind. He did after all order the car with the ski rack, and not without reason. He was an avid skier. He was also a pilot, and had the common sense to want to know the outside temperature when hovering at the mark.

So I figured the gauge needs to go back in. But having already plugged the hole, I now decided to put it in my mind more correctly placed at the far left.

And now that I'm looking at these pics I notice that when the unit was restored, they forgot to add back the little red line that marks the freezing point. Oh well, they're a great outfit and if I call them on it I'm sure they can fix that.

Great job!
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Maurizio, and beh911, Thank You both. This has been a fun process, albeit dragged out over several years.

As I was communicating with the original owner who spec'ed the car out, I asked him what kind of light setup he had, thinking that was a long-shot memory wise. His response:

"Sean, Cibies through the small grilles, fogs square - factory, and I ruined them once in parking where there was a railroad tie as parking barricade."

Wow.

And he touched on something I had noticed. There was more damage to the front pan than I would expect from just battery acid, and there was a brass weld in there. I asked him about that as well:

"Sean, Yep. I did it with that railroad tie at a garden show with my wife; cleaned off the fogs too, but all fixed and replaced."

So that explains it

The interaction with the first owner has been the coolest part of this process. I did get to speak to owner #2 as well, and I bought the car from owner #3. But numero uno I have had a bunch of communications with. He was even kind enough to send me a box full of stuff from back in the day. Lifetime PCA member, some time at the track and hill-climbs as well. Pretty cool stuff.

Attached three good reasons, beyond my conversations with the guy, that I know this car saw some good use in 69 and early 70s.

When I say he was a lifetime PCA member, there may not be such a thing, but in the box of stuff he sent me, there are annual PCA cards starting in the 60's and going into recent times which seem close enough. There's also an SCCA lifetime member card, and an SCCA National Competition License dated 1963.

I've laid down some rubber, both 2 and 4 wheels, and I'm good not great at it, but I'd be ecstatic if i get a 50 year run

Is this curved plate a one off, or something that was commonly seen on certain cars?

Never have seen the plate above the wheel. the only thing I could guess would be extra protection for mud in the fender since this was a factory order ski rack car. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Agreed Chris. However, I think it was there to protect something specific, more so than just to protect the already coated underside of the fender.

The curved plate was a perfect fit, and designed to mount very flush.

What were those 3 holes in a triangle above the plate for? whatever it was, I think this plate was protecting it.