Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funky old patina...

Funky old patina...

The aftermath...
    After having a wonderful therapeutic car wash, this chip happened simply with hose water pressure through a hose gun. After the expletives happened which confirmed to my neighbors that I'm a psycho, I calmed down... kind of. Not really...

So this is 46 year old paint and now it spontaneously comes off, swell. So is the original paint still a good thing, and accept this as a battle scar or is it time to do a repaint? What is considered to be the lesser of the 2 evils, marred originality or go for the shiny gee wiz new coat of Bahama Yellow, replace the rubber seals, pop the windshield and put in a new dash in the process. The car would become a 10/10 car and I wouldn't want to drive it, hermetically seal it and become a gollum with my precious. blah blah...

I would appreciate opinions on the next step. I've seen pics of rusted Speedsters and 911's that are regarded as patina, and I've heard there is nothing more malignant than exposed early 911 metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Paint it, replace seals and dash and continue driving it as usual!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

It's only original once!

Just do some touch up but make sure not no over do it, keep the paint inside the chips!

Original paint cars are becoming scarce, there are lots of bright and shiny cars out there...
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

So, what happens after this spot gets touched up and the next car wash results in more paint coming off? If it's 46 years old, chances are if it's coming up in one spot that there's a good possibility it will happen again. Just my .02
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

maybe, but maybe color will stay . .

Name:  IMG_7581.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  56.9 KB
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Shift Knob Maker
    Paint it, drive it.. It's just a car..

Mark..

Do what makes you happy. Would a car with perfect, fresh paint make you happier than one with flaking, peeling original paint?

Quote Originally Posted by 76911S View Post
    Paint it, drive it.. It's just a car..

Mark..
    Agreed! Too many people view these cars as an investment when they should be driving the crap out of them!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Great input, thanks. It was bought to be driven when my old man got it in 87. Even today, when that oil temp hits 180, all bets are off, it's fast and loud time. Pebble Beach month screws me up. The acquisition fervor makes the gears turn in the back of my mind, maybe you guys too. A guy next to me on HWY 1 heading to Carmel Valley road in the congo line wanted to buy it on the spot, in traffic haha. Werks Reunion makes everyone an expert in value and whatever. All the premier cars showing were freshly painted, and the grumbles were that people want shiny as much as original. It's still shiny with some rock dings on it, but if paint is going to break off spontaneously that's a problem. It had a hairline crack in the paint for years, no blistering underneath it. It wasn't rusting under the removed area. Is anyone else ever having a chunk come off like that?

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    maybe, but maybe color will stay . .

Name:  IMG_7581.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  56.9 KB
    Take that thing to be painted ASAP lol
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28