Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on history of Slate Grey/Red 69E

Help on history of Slate Grey/Red 69E

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a non-matching -69E in TX. The car was as advertised, and the dealer did a good job of describing what they had. They may well have done some of the work on it, but I didn't ask, and everything they said about the car was correct.

I'd been looking for a slate/red coupe for a long time, and though I hoped for numbers matching, this was good enough.

It came with a 72T MFI engine and 915 tranny. I have posted that engine number in lost/found for anyone looking for it, and will post the tranny as well when I get to it.

I've also posted the engine the car should have had which I am of course looking for: 6291969.

They (dealer) had elected to call it the "Southern Outlaw" and there was a post to a dyne run on youtube and still is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN4AA3YAaY

I had information that at the very least the passenger side front fender had been swapped, and there was evidence welding in front right wheel well. But also that it was very dry in all the right places. I didn't really care about a minor collision, as I was prepared to take it down to bare metal and on a jig if necessary. It had a 73 S steel bumper, new gas tank, and new headlights, which told me that "southern outlaw" probably meant "frontal collision."

Hopefully minor.

Before I start digging into the car, I wanted to see if anyone knew of its history. It was on a Georgia title in 2014, and shows that the prior title was GA as well. Title says the car was black then.

It has some steel flares that look RS to me. I have a 2.7RS spec engine, so I think I know where this is going I can't find the original engine.

Any help is appreciated. Again, I don't really care what the history is, just want as much info as possible. The fact that it left the factory the way it did was what I really wanted. And the car is actually very dry in some of the usual suspect places - I will post lots of pics as I look closer.

Thanks,

Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by sehoel1; 09-24-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: correction

Here's what Porsche themselves remember thus far:
    Last edited by sehoel1; 09-24-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Love these things

First one was a 70T (with a friend) in San Diego and drove it straight to Seattle. Passed on a black/black 73S because I didn't have the extra $4k needed over the T.

Since then I've been very good about buying low and selling high, though not sure what it would look like if all the little $ and the time spent were part of the equation. The one exception is this non-matching slate grey/red car. Always wanted slate grey. Maybe a McQueen thing. Paid too much given non-matching - hoping that changes some day.

Cheers
    Last edited by sehoel1; 08-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Beautiful car.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

It is a nice car as is, and it is going back to stock only where I can easily do so. I'm driving it, and don't want to get into a big restoration unless I have to. If the steel flares are RS they are staying. Any opinions on that from the last picture?

The very nice s/split/steel bumper will be posted for sale, as will the earlier 68 minus lights.

I hope the engine finds its way to the original owner, although a simple google search of this numbers would have worked in the last 6 months at least, so they may not be looking.

Look SC to me from the pictures.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Come on now Flieger - didn't I say I reeeallly want them to be RS flares

You don't have a lot to work with in those pics obviously, so I'm still not convinced. Either way someone with lot of experience - like you probably - needs to see them up close and personal.

I found this comparison picture elsewhere. Seems to me a big difference is the tapering, or lack thereof, on the outer flat portion. With the SC being more uniform throughout, and the RS tapering more in a sickle kind of way.

Posted a terrible picture I just took with phone in the garage, cause I'm feeling a lot of tapering on mine. But I may be wrong of course.

Man I wish I was in Carmel Valley right now...

Having started digging into the car, the only evidence i find thus far of any damage is limited to the passenger side front. The left front fender is original, at least the coating matches the rest of the car in aging. The right front fender is "new" with no coating at all. But new may be quite old. The car as a whole is very dry, and the below sticker is still very well preserved under the right fender. I can easily make out "number" 901 503 032 23; "desc" fender; and "date" 8/16/90

I'm hoping someone recognizes this exact sticker. Hoping its a Porsche part. There is a "location" code AJ... that may make sense to someone.

Of course the fender could have been on a shelf for a quarter century, and just recently swapped. Any thoughts?

Just trying to piece it all together.

Oh, and any further tips on how to identify RS flares welcome...the width of the "flat" portion is double at 12 o'clock what it is at the ends, which still has me thinking RS. It also is less upside down "U" in that the rear arch is flatter than the front, also RS from the pics I see.

Quote Originally Posted by sehoel1 View Post
    Come on now Flieger - didn't I say I reeeallly want them to be RS flares

You don't have a lot to work with in those pics obviously, so I'm still not convinced. Either way someone with lot of experience - like you probably - needs to see them up close and personal.

I found this comparison picture elsewhere. Seems to me a big difference is the tapering, or lack thereof, on the outer flat portion. With the SC being more uniform throughout, and the RS tapering more in a sickle kind of way.

Posted a terrible picture I just took with phone in the garage, cause I'm feeling a lot of tapering on mine. But I may be wrong of course.

Man I wish I was in Carmel Valley right now...
    The bottom two are RS style.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    The bottom two are RS style.
    I'm with you, though I never realized there was that big a difference. I always thought the difference was "the guy wiping the bondo" . So it looks like yours are RS style.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"