Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Lifts (for personal garage use)... Thoughts needed

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  71.7 KB

This is my preference. No posts to deal with and flush to the ground when down.
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

Views: 724
Size:  70.5 KB

Here's another pic when down, full extension will give you about 68" clearance.

.... just found this (How to Convince Your Spouse you Need a Lift)

Name:  How To Convince your spouse .jpg
Views: 599
Size:  81.1 KB

http://www.bendpak.com/DIY-Report.jpg

and

DIY Auto Repair Survey Highlights:

• 33% of DIYers report saving $1,000+
    • 48% working on 10+ year-old vehicles
    • 80% say easy access to parts online making them more likely to DIY
    • 94% continue to DIY their vehicles in spite of improved finances
    • 55% of women DIYers report doing more DIY this year

Carson, CA–October 1, 2014–Consumers continue to embrace auto repair DIY, and report that they are saving hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars by doing so, this according to a new survey of nearly 3,000 consumers released today by AutoPartsWarehouse.com.
    The findings show that these DIY auto repairers are chiefly driven by cost-savings (one-third report saving over $1,000/year), but also by the enjoyment of the actual work. In fact, comparing results to a similar 2012 study, there has been a slight downtick in those DIY’ing to save money and a slight uptick in those who say they DIY because they enjoy it – as well as a major increase in those reporting that even though their financial situation has improved, they still will DIY over going to the repair shop.
    Overall, nearly half of DIYers report doing more repair work this year than last year, and two-thirds say they are more likely to attempt a difficult job. Interestingly, over half of women DIYer respondents say they are doing more DIY auto repairs this year than in 2012. Why? One reason is saving money, but the other key driver is that they are holding onto their cars longer (over 50% have cars that are 10+ years old). And the Internet continues to play a key role by delivering easy access to parts/accessories as well as extensive how-to information, making these consumers more likely to perform both simple and difficult DIY repairs.
    The AutoPartsWarehouse.com 2014 DIYAuto Repair Report is based on an online survey conducted among 2,843 consumers from May 29 to August 28, 2014.*
    Report Highlights:
    DIYers Saving Money and Keeping Their Vehicles Longer
    Reflecting current trends, these self-identifying DIYers are reporting that they own older vehicles and, given that DIYers tend to own used vehicles (74%), and do a lot of their own repair work (84% have done some work on their vehicle in past three months), it is no surprise that:

• 48% have vehicles that are 10 years or older
    • 64% have over 100K miles on their vehicles
    • 14% have over 200K miles

And they are pocketing quite a difference, nearly one-third say they are saving over $1,000 annually by buying parts and doing their own auto repair work, with 62% saving over $500.

By purchasing parts/accessories and doing DIY auto repair work yourself, how much do you estimate you save yearly?

• Over $1000 33%
    • $500 – $1000 29%
    • $300 -$500 23%
    • $100-$300 11%
    • I don’t think I save any money 2%
    • $0-$100 / I don’t think I save any money 2%

Overall, 44% of DIYers report doing more DIY work now than a couple of years ago. And, strikingly, 55% of female DIYers report that they are doing more of their own repairs this year than last. When it comes to the level of DIY work, 67% of both male and female DIYers said that compared to two years ago they are more likely to do a more difficult repair/upgrade job themselves than take it to the shop.
    Economics Still a Factor, but a Little Less So
    When asked why they are doing more work this year than last year, ‘holding onto my vehicle for lon*ger’ is tied (36%) with ‘saving money’ (36%). Overall, ‘saving money’ is the main reason (79%) respon*dents give for doing any DIY auto repair work on their vehicles; however, that has dropped about four percentage points from 2012 when it was 83%; ‘because I enjoy it’ was cited by 66%, just slightly up (by two percentage points) from 2012.

• I enjoy it 66%
    • To save money 79%
    • I have the expertise 39%
    • I trust myself more than a mechanic 41%
    • I have classic or exotic car, and it’s a hobby 13%
    • Other 6%

Two things seem clear: the financial picture has improved since 2014 for nearly half of these DIYers, but this is not necessarily driving them to the repair shop: of the DIYers who reported that their financial situation has improved nearly all of them – 94%! – say that they will still do their own repairs versus going to the repair shop – this is a big uptick from 79% in 2012.
    Internet Continues to Influence…The Internet is definitely making attempting DIY an easier proposition for consumers: when asked why they would choose to do a difficult repair/upgrade on their vehicle rather than take it to the shop, one-third cited the fact that there is more how-to repair information online and a whopping 80% overall (including those who do not identify as DIYers) said that easy access to auto parts/acces*sories online makes them more likely to DIY auto repairs/upgrades.
    …So Does Learning from Dad – Especially for Women.
    Forty-four percent of female DIYers, versus 29% of male DIYers, report that they learned to perform maintenance/repair work on their vehicles from their dad/family. The data from female respondents – admittedly, a smaller universe (85% male versus 15% female) – offered some interesting counter*points in the study. For example, saving money appears to be a much bigger driver to DIY for women than for men: 44% of women, versus 31% of men, say they work on their vehicles to save money and when non-DIYers were asked why they have not done any auto maintenance/repair/upgrades them*selves, women were far more likely to cite fear of breaking or damaging the car than men: 27% versus 18%.
    Nevertheless, while men were more likely to attempt more difficult repair jobs such as replacing transmission filters, flushing radiator/cooling system, repairing AC and repairing ignition wire sets, the data shows that some women are also doing these repairs.

• Change muffler 31% 13%
    • Recharge/repair AC 37% 21%
    • Replace transmission filters 38% 16%
    • Repair ignition wire set 45% 17%
    • Flush radiator/cooling system 51% 29%
    • Replace fuel filters 56% 29%
    • Replace spark plugs 62% 38%
    • Replace brake pads 63% 35%
    • Change oil filters 64% 40%
    • Change oil 64% 41%
    • Add antifreeze 65% 45%
    • Replace air filters 65% 41%
    • Replace headlamp bulbs 66% 42%
    • Replace windshield wiper blades 66% 45%
    • Replace battery 66% 45%

About AutoPartsWarehouse.com*AutoPartsWarehouse.com’s survey was conducted at www.automd.com, and the analysis was conducted by AutoPartsWarehouse.com.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Norm,
    Awesome lift!
    Who makes that? Did you have someone install that?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm01 View Post
Views: 724
Size:  70.5 KB

Here's another pic when down, full extension will give you about 68" clearance.
    Kevin "Hangman" Lynch
    1967 912R (project) - color pending
    1968 Bahama Yellow 912
    Follow me on Twitter @LynchGreenDot

Although I went 4-post as I mentioned, the coolest approach is the subterranean lift if you want storage and a clean garage when you aren't working on your car. I wanted one, because if I dropped one car below grade, it could have actually been driven into our basement with some "small" modifications to the foundation wall. Also using the sub-lift you have no posts in the way during storage.

Here is one of many examples. http://www.babco.ca/Automotive-Equip...-Parking-Lifts

Unfortunately, you are looking at $25k-$50k plus the cost of excavation. You could add a full bay to a garage for that kind of coin, assuming you had the real estate to do it.

But super cool nonetheless.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Although I went 4-post as I mentioned, the coolest approach is the subterranean lift if you want storage and a clean garage when you aren't working on your car. I wanted one, because if I dropped one car below grade, it could have actually been driven into our basement with some "small" modifications to the foundation wall. Also using the sub-lift you have no posts in the way during storage.

Here is one of many examples. http://www.babco.ca/Automotive-Equip...-Parking-Lifts

Unfortunately, you are looking at $25k-$50k plus the cost of excavation. You could add a full bay to a garage for that kind of coin, assuming you had the real estate to do it.

But super cool nonetheless.

Ravi
    Exelent!

Best 007 touch ever =)

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Norm,
    Awesome lift!
    Who makes that? Did you have someone install that?
    It's made by http://www.dy-autoequip.com however there are other very similar models made by different manufacturers. I built the garage and installed the lift myself. Very happy with it.

I have a 14K# four post lift in our shop w axle lifts. Works well, but always seems like the lifts or the ramps are in the way when working under a Porsche bc they are so small and the lift is huge. And there is the head banging thing. Do that all the damn time and man does it hurt. But I'm prone to accidents so maybe I'm not a good example . Still though, probably the best option. Doesn't work well for "frame off" restorations though if that is a possibility.

Have you looked at opening up the ceiling over the lift a little? I have a detached garage at home and will be bumping the ceiling a little to allow a four lost lift in there. Just an idea. Not too difficult to do this.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I have just one little thing to add about two post lifts. The experts have assured me that you need an asymmetric lift for Porsches if you want to be able to open the door and get out after driving the car onto the lift.

An asymmetric two post lift is one with longer arms on one side of the line between the posts than the other side.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I purchased a BendPak XPR-10ACX back in 2009; this is the wide, asymmectric two post lift. I've been very happy with it and recommend it.

Thanks!

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Member #1277