Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??right sunvisors? if yes -how to clean them properly?

??right sunvisors? if yes -how to clean them properly?

@all
    attached a pair of visors, which got offered to me, and i do have following questions:
    are these a correct pair 65 visors?
    how to clean the visors properly, to get rid of spots and staints?
    how to get rid of the spots on the mirror?
    what will do the trick to make them shiny like new again?

thank you in advance &
    with best regards

haul
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by haul; 10-08-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    They LOOk like correct 1965 sun visors to me. My car has mirrors in the sun visors on both sides--Brett Johnson's The 911 & 912 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity says that was a zero cost option on 911s.

I read an article on restoring old Porsche sun visors some time ago. It talked about cutting the vinyl with a scalpel, replacing the plastic foam inside then closing the cut with cyanoacrylic glue. I never even wanted to try that...

Anyway, it also recommended a product called "Westley's Bleche White" (now Black Magic Bleche White). Westley's Bleche White has been around in the US for decades--it was sold for cleaning white wall tires back when most American cars had white wall tires.

I think I tried it on old Volkswagen sun visors and it did no harm. It didn't clean very fast.

For the mirrors, you might try a mild acid like white vinegar, assuming those are mineral deposits. If they're pits there is no way to clean them. It also looks like the silvering on the reverse of the mirror may be bad. There are outfits that re-silver mirrors but replacing the mirror could be more practical.

If you want the sun visors professionally restored you might contact Jack Arct or Victor Miles (although Victor doesn't like restoring sun visors). You can get contact information for them on the Porsche 356 Registry's Vendors Page.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Those are correct 65 sun visors. They are in exquisite condition for the condition they are in! I would not try and restore them, but just give them a good cleaning.
    I do it by using Simple Green (A mild de-greaser/cleaner). I cover them in Simple Green and then scrub them with a medium bristle brush. My hand/fingernail brush works wonders. After scrubbing them with my brush, I put them under the faucet and rinse them thoroughly. I know most of you are going to gasp, but I have done this for years to almost every 911 and 356 sun visor I have sold. I would not bother with the mirror, but then again, I am lazy and only in this for the money.

Regards

Jim

Picture # 1 Is a 356C sun visor (same material as early 911 sun visors) that I just grabbed out of my sun visor pile.
    Picture # 2 Is the same visor, 1 minute later, after scrubbing with Simple Green and rinsing under my faucet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

@both jims
    thank you in the 1st place...your comments made the deal...will report further when hands on the visors...
    best regards
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

To clean them you can also use Mr Cleans Magic Eraser. It works beautifully on vinyl.
    Member #2666

wow, nice pieces! Even becoming nicer now, just do not overdo it, it is just a car......
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Buy a box of those cheap 1" Harbor Freight paint brushes and cut the bristles down to about 3/4". Makes a great brush for small detailing. The shorter the bristles, the stronger the brush. This would work great to get into all those small triangles and clean out the dirt.
    Bob B

Or you could save the money and just do as Jim suggests. Those visors look terrific as they are, and if they were mine, I wouldn't do a thing to the mirror. After all, it's on the passenger side of the car, so how much use would it really get anyway?
    Steve Meltsner

I would use a Tornador Black cleaning gun, it will work great for everything on the interieror.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmuxYGE7zY

Bengt

Quote Originally Posted by gtBen View Post
    I would use a Tornador Black cleaning gun, it will work great for everything on the interieror.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmuxYGE7zY

Bengt
    Me too

----and some Characters to make at least ten