Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So.... Does anyone know the latest on 300005?

So.... Does anyone know the latest on 300005?

I was enjoying the thread & have not seen anything since....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=300005

I'm pretty sure it was at Rennsport V, still cleverly disguised as an RSR.
    Jeff Jensen

Hmmmm... I was there all 3 days & don't remember seeing anything that would have caught my eye in that way. That said, there was so much to look at I may have missed it.

Any proof?

S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Hiding in plain site.... it was part of the Magnus Momo drive up from LA. It is now the oldest 911 in the world to still be daily driven....

Photos of the same car in 1965 and again in 2015...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Ahhh.... I did see it, but nothing 'clicked' upstairs when I did. To be honest, I really didn't pay much attention to any of the cars in that display.

Cool that it's being driven - I suspected it was most likely deep into the restoration process by now.

Hi Nurburger,

Thanks for asking about #300 005. Too bad I missed you at RR5. It was an epic event on all fronts. So many significant cars in one spot, it was difficult to take it all in.

As far as #300 005, it is doing well and doing what it was designed to do…putting a smile on its owner’s face. Nearly 6000 very curvy miles round trip to RR5 and back home.

For the most part, I have been doing research on the provenance of #300005. I recently went to Germany and met with the original owner as well as had the opportunity to do some research with Dieter Landenberger in the Zuffenhausen archives.

According to the 3 page hand written kardex, #300005 was a Werks car, test car and press car for Porsche before being sold to a prominent champion rally racer, Günter Wallrabenstein, who was twice honored by Ferry Porsche. Once for having the first outright win ever for a 911 in an International race with #300005.

Werks History
    The kardex notes, #300005 was designated as a Werks car as well as a press / sales car under the direction of Baron Fritz Huschke von Hanstein. The Factory plate number was S-UN 764. I’ve contacted two people who worked with von Hanstein in the press department. Some interesting stories. The werks photographer who took pictures of #300005 was Ole Kirk-Jensen. Helmuth Bott surely tested this car based on the kardex information as well as being the personal car of Huschke von Hanstein. Interesting enough, #300005 was also driven by Dan Gurney’s wife to be Evi who happened to be von Hanstein’s head of the Porsche Press Department.

Press / Media history
    As some have pointed out (Bob & Karim) #300005 is on the cover of the January 23 edition of Auto Motor und Sport. This unflattering article was written by the famous author Reinhard Seiffert after his test drive of #300005. His article was then referred to in Tobias Aichele’s book “Porsche 911 Forever Young” on pages 122-123. # 300005 also is the first 911 to be reviewed by Hansjörg Bendel in the March 1965 issue of Road and Track.

My car is also pictured in “911 x 911” page 111 written by Dieter Landenberger. It also appears in “Porsche Six Cylinder Supercars” page 24 written by Henry Rasmussen. Lastly, it appears in “Roots of a legend PORSCHE 901” page 120-121 written by Jurgen Lewandowski. Most recently it was written up in the July 2015 issue of “Auto Bild Klassik” by Jan-Henrik Muche

It’s possible there may be other books and periodicals, but to date this is what my research has turned up.

Race history
    I visited with the original owner in Germany, Günter Wallrabenstein (82yrs old) and his co-driver F. Herborn. They confirmed the race provenance of #300005. Günter had trophies, pictures, stories and even the original international registration papers. Licence # LM-C 911. Ferry Porsche congratulated Günter after the first ever overall win in international competition for a 911 in April 1965, the International Roland Rallye. Günter still has the original steering wheel and hubcaps from #300005. Colorful story.

Günter was friends with Baron Fritz Huschke von Hanstein and the press/sales (Werksverkauf Division) and this was his connection to getting one of the first 901’s as well as his reputation as a champion rally pilot. In addition to winning or placing in over 10 international rallies with #300005, Mr. Wallrabenstein was the European GT Champion in 1962 in a Porsche 356 and won Monte Carlo in his class in 1964 in a VW. And yes, Mr. Wallrabenstein raced #300005 on Nürburgring!

I believe #300005 was raced in the United States but have yet to confirm. It was most likely raced in the southwest, perhaps SCCA or club racing during the 70’s. Let me know if you have any info.

To me this car encapsulates the symbolic meaning that is Porsche. Factory provenance, race provenance, dependability, everyday drivability and a survivor. An anachronistic piece of contemporary archeology. A car that has seen it all, left for dead, brought back to life and still rocking. The “Keith Richards” of cars. In my opinion, the most significant surviving 901.

It’s always been about the ride and the stories of road and track. My hats off to the forensic minded for detailing the techniques of 60’s manufacturing, but for me it’s about the adventures along the road and the people we meet. And I have had the privilege to meet some great people along the way.

I know how everyone likes photos, so I’ll do the best I can to post a few.

Jay

Here are some pics from my research trip to the Porsche Museum and archives. I had the opportunity to look through the original 901 build book. Note the 901 on the cover was crossed out and 911 was written in. Other pics are of the kardex file, a news article on Wallrabenstein that someone underlined, Mr. Landenberger researching 300005 facts, and a very special car in the Museum shop being worked on. Also, we found negatives and proofs of 300005 with the factory plates S-UN 764

Great update. Wonderful information re. your car.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

The following pics are from books and periodicals where #300005 appeared with factory plates
    S-UN 764. Most have been posted somewhere on this site by Karim. He has a very extensive collection.