Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So.... Does anyone know the latest on 300005?

Thanks for sharing all of this Jay! For some reason, I was just thinking about your car a couple of weeks ago...
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

Congrats Jay. You're definitely making the most out of your ownership!
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Incredible reading;
    Great photos !

Thank YOU for sharing your treasure with us.
    And,
    ALL the best "on the journey" ~
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Thanks Jay.
    Incredible history and story.

I sure would like to hear more about its dark, confusing drug binge years.

How did this car go from Bruce to Caitlyn?
    Hi Frank,

It was nice meeting you face to face at The Hawk - Road America this summer. #300005 was born with double adjustable Koni’s and fitted with a werks single hoop roll bar in early 65. Later, a full roll cage was added, 5 point harnesses and some suspension upgrades. Race inspired RSR flares were added along the way. I prefer to think of 005’s transformation as a Rennsport inspired “attitude adjustment”. Unlike Bruce, I assure you #300005 and its owner are still dangling a brass pair.

005 was raced in your neck of the woods for many years. You said you may have some info to help fill in a few of the blind spots. Are you holding out? What do you know?

As an aside, Porsche ran an ad campaign encouraging its owners to head to rallies and the race track. I think 005 fulfilled that mission.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great update Jay.
    After much searching on its fascinating history (and a few contributions on my part) the only real downside is how much is originally left on the car. And the whereabouts of its original engine. How about its current interior, anything original left or its all gone ?

If we are into precise designations one also has to admit that while 005 is the oldest known 901 and a few other 901' are younger, those other 901's -however- are much more complete with original parts. And that is a major (value) asset on those 901 too. Restoring a 901 is a major task and probably the most complicated task on all 63-73 cars, including most 65-73 racer spec cars.

Good luck with the resurrection of 005, hopefully it once sees the light again. The car deserves it.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-21-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Banned
    Oldest 901 vs. most original?

My money is on "oldest".

The great thing about Jay's car is that it has racing pedigree. Race cars are essentially "tools"; they serve a very specific purpose then they're replaced or re-purposed. Frankly I don't believe Jay has to worry about restoring the car to it's original specs and if I were him I wouldn't lose the slightest bit of sleep because he doesn't have some of the '64 jots and tittles.

This community seems to gravitate more toward originality than re-purposed. I get that. But a car with a storied past like 005 is far more rare and interesting than some museum queen that didn't have the absolute daylights driven out of it. That's my 2 cents anyway.

I would trade 011 for 005 in a NY minute.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 10-21-2015 at 06:40 AM.

So restoring it back to race specs is a valuable path for 005, I now got that.
    Good luck w it, Jay
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-21-2015 at 10:55 AM.
    Registry member No.773

005 is about its life history! The fact that it is the oldest is a special plus in the story, but the rest of it history is compelling. How it is currently configured is part of the story, that it is regularly driven still is a tribute to its builders, its previous and current owner. Frank has it right, race cars change not just from season to season, race to race, but from session to session. Congratulations on the research efforts and thanks for sharing. Hope you continue to enjoy it.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Jay,
    I walked by your car never even thinking it had that much history while at RRV. Great ride, and even better history! Enjoy!
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Jay
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful story via the two threads... please keep posting stuff along the way; it is really inspiring. My car has no race history yet it is special to me: I can only imagine how it feels to have such a car as 005 and then to meet the first race winning driver/co-driver and see all the amazing things they have... it is priceless in the real sense of the word... car seems in very good hands going forward and I really look forward to follow your journey!
    Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616