Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repro 4.5" Fuchs

Repro 4.5" Fuchs

Anybody seen the repro 4.5" Fuchs wheels in real life? If so, are they reasonably accurate in appearance or blatantly wrong like a lot of the repro crap out there?

I have addressed them in the past.
    To sum it up:
    The latest reproductions are very close in their appearance when looking at the front.
    The inside is much different because of the thickness needed for strength because they are cast.
    They will not look the same when refinished because the cast doesn't anodize the same.
    I have tried to refinish some by dulling the polish and if you squint real hard they kinda look like Fuchs.
    They only look the same if they are chromed so they are perfect for the VW crowd.
    H

Harvey, how do the cast wheels hold up? My assumption is that Forged wheels are significantly stronger than cast but have you noticed a lot of failed wheels? Also, do you remember if the ones you tried to refinish were Empi or Flat-4?
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Harvey,

Thanks for the input on the wheels. Do you know if the Empi's are different from the Flat-4's or are they the same wheel marketed by 2 different outfits? If in fact different, which one is closer in appearance? And, do the factory hubcaps fit them?

Dave

I think that they are the same wheel.
    They are thicker to have enough strength for use.
    I doubt if they will fail unless they are damaged first...like most cast wheel failures.
    H

Any reason you are going with 4.5" width?, there are wider 5.5"s and 6"s with the 15" repros.
    Ekler's Automotive sells these and they are finished aready and cheap.
    If you buy them, please weigh one without tire and post the weight here.
    The lightest cast wheel Porsche made for the 911T was the Mahle wheel which weighed 10 lbs each.
    Last edited by Fixer; 11-27-2015 at 01:48 PM.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

The whole reason for the 4.5 is the looks ......not the practicality....
    By "finished" you mean a finish as close that you can get a cast wheel to look like a forged one?
    Then, no they are not finished to even vaguely resemble the original wheels.
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes, I see your point about period looks in terms of wheel width. But vaguely resembling the originals? Sure they do.
    Only 1 in many, many people will ever notice or care to stop and ask you if those wheels of yours are reproductions.
    I would never ask or bother to put anyone on the spot over this.
    5.5" width is a nice compromise between having that period look and much improved handling.
    There is a big difference in handling between the two sizes.
    Besides, later O series cars had wheels available wider than 4.5" and many people ungraded to use them.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

old softie67S
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Yes, I see your point about period looks in terms of wheel width. But vaguely resembling the originals? Sure they do.
    Only 1 in many, many people will ever notice or care to stop and ask you if those wheels of yours are reproductions.
    I would never ask or bother to put anyone on the spot over this.
    5.5" width is a nice compromise between having that period look and much improved handling.
    There is a big difference in handling between the two sizes.
    Besides, later O series cars had wheels available wider than 4.5" and many people ungraded to use them.
    Fixer, the 4 1/2 x 15 is a 67S only wheel. The primary target market for these wheels,(other than VW owners), are 67S owners who do not still have their orignial wheels. They are probably getting rid of their wider wheels to put 4 1/2's back on.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Quote Originally Posted by tomkirkcis View Post
    Fixer, the 4 1/2 x 15 is a 67S only wheel. The primary target market for these wheels,(other than VW owners), are 67S owners who do not still have their orignial wheels. They are probably getting rid of their wider wheels to put 4 1/2's back on.
    Ah that makes sense. A purity thing. I was thinking about the article in Pano i read a few months back about the Fuchs company,
    they seem like the type of organization that just might do a small [ish] run of the 4.5" width wheels. They're very proud of this wheel.
    I wonder if they would manufacture a run of 500 wheels and for what price?
    Last edited by Fixer; 12-06-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania