Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel refinishing

Quote Originally Posted by uptheorg View Post
    I have no problem with Harvey's comment -- it seems to me he went out of his way to NOT denigrate the work of anyone else. I, for one, was reading his post and expecting him to downgrade his competition, but he never did. He's not a wordsmith, nor do we expect him to be, so maybe there was some room for your interpretation, but I don't think you are right about it.

+1 on your observation that someone new to the business will obviously have a shorter backlog.
    Jim how else would you interpret these comments:

"If you are looking for price and turn around time, I have a diesel mechanic that will restore your MFI pump in a week for about one third of the going rate…..and I know a guy that rebuilds engines also…..etc"

Also remember this thread's start was asking about Rick's service:

OP: I know about Harvey Weidman and Al Reed but has anyone used Rick Hartbrodt before? The turn around time is pretty fast and the pricing seems very good....
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a pissing match. I used Al for the 16's on my car and have 2 sets of customer wheels with Harvey and a set of steel and aluminum prototype wheels we are working on.
    Both do great work. Both are so busy that there seems room for another high quality player if Rick's work is really good. If he is that good I expect his turnaround time to be longer 6 to 12 months down the road. Or he'll have to hire and that adds costs and makes quality control a little tougher. The reference you make to Harvey might come from he and Al seeing others come and go over the years, and work sent to them after someone else buggered up the wheels. I don't think Harvey was disparaging a new player personally, (I didn't take it that way) but maybe for him he was telling folks to be careful based on past experience.
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

The best early Porsche restoration shops.......

Gunnar Racing
    Road Scholars
    Klub Sport
    Freddie Hernandez
    Canepa
    CarParc
    901 Shop
    Flat Six
    CPR
    Paterek Brothers
    TLG Auto
    Rick Cabell
    etc.....

The best early Porsche wheel restoration shops.....

Harvey Weidman
    Al Reed

IMO, the market could use another qualified wheel restoration shop.....
    JEFF BRINTON
    ESR #1572
    1968 911N
    1974 914 2.0L
    2023 Macan
    SOLD - 1967 911N / 1968 911L / 1967 911N / 1969 912 / 1991 964 C2 / 2013 991.1 / 2008 987 Cayman

The biggest difference here is the invaluable, experienced, detailed and very very informative information Harvey (finds the time to) share with all of this community. He does this freely and consistently and without his input I doubt any of us would know half of what we know about Fuchs wheels.
    I want to say that I do not know Al or Rick but that because they say nothing on here (to the best of my knowledge) and I look forward to them sharing their knowledge on the Fuchs wheel with us in the same way Harvey does.

I found Harvey's response on this thread perfectly acceptable.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Gunnar Racing
    Road Scholars
    Klub Sport
    Freddie Hernandez
    Canepa
    CarParc
    901 Shop
    Flat Six
    CPR
    Paterek Brothers
    TLG Auto
    Rick Cabell
    etc.....

I would add Vintage Car Works in Colorado to that list. Dave DiMaria's restored cars have done very well at the top events. The Slate Gray 66 911 won 3 awards at the last Parade including "Best Restored Car".
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post

Gunnar Racing
    Road Scholars
    Klub Sport
    Freddie Hernandez
    Canepa
    CarParc
    901 Shop
    Flat Six
    CPR
    Paterek Brothers
    TLG Auto
    Rick Cabell
    etc.....

Harvey Weidman
    Al Reed

Where is "Flat Six" located?
    Stephen
    ---------
    '71 Tangerine 911T Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by A4GEN2 View Post
    Where is "Flat Six" located?
    http://www.flat6.com/

Minnesota
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

I did not read Harvey's commentary that way. I thought it was very fair. I have no skin in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    There is also a reason why someone that is new to the business and trying to break in can turnaround wheels in 4 to 5 weeks, it's because they are new to the business and have a short backlog. Doesn't mean that they do poor work which is what Harvey is insinuating, Rick's pricing is in between Al's and Harvey's so he is not the cheapest. I have not used Rick's service yet but it seems to me that we need more competition in this area, what is wrong with that? I am waiting for LiveFromNY to give his opinion when he receives his wheels. I have used both Harvey and AL and I was very happy with the results from both of them, so no sour grapes here, just disappointed in Harvey's comments.

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post

Gunnar Racing
    Road Scholars
    Klub Sport
    Freddie Hernandez
    Canepa
    CarParc
    901 Shop
    Flat Six
    CPR
    Paterek Brothers
    TLG Auto
    Rick Cabell
    etc.....

Harvey Weidman
    Al Reed

I find it surprising that neither Mayo Performance nor Jones Autowerkes are included on your list.
    They were around when most of the others were in diapers.(except Paterek)
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs