View Poll Results: What's better - cracked original dash or a repro?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cracked original dash

32 59.26%
  • Repro

19 35.19%
  • Don't care

3 5.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's better - cracked original dash or a repro

Quote Originally Posted by CidTito View Post
    . . . best of both worlds might be recovering a cracked dash . . . . . .
    Weeeeeeeell . . . I call it 'plastic surgery' . . .

. . . which --- if performed imprudently . . .

G'morning, Sweet ---ARGH!!
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 12-04-2015 at 06:24 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

replace the dash...

it's not any different than cracked dried out windshield and other rubber gaskets, just because the dash crack may not leak water it's fugly

or leaky oil seals, bald tires with cracked sidewalls, torn seats, cracked glass, chipped paint etc ... collectively now falls under the new meaning of
    patina

the new meaning of patina = this piece of crap is as close as I can get to this brand... I can't afford to care for this car... the suckers are too stupid to know the difference between crap and quality

How about a 74 non speaker, NOS dash as Chuck M. has on his blue73 S, fitted to the LWB cars.....or an early PORSCHE replacement dash { has a different perforation pattern } or it might be a `69 only dash? in LWB non cracked condition.... or a 68` dash with a crack that was human error when attempting to remove it from car `ouch`.....cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-05-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

I have purchased a few non oem part while putting Annie back together. Most fit like crap. The crack in her original dash will be relished.
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

The patina on an original dash speaks more to me than having a perfect one that was clearly not there when it left the factory. However, if it has a BIG UGLY crack near the instrument area it needs to go. But I always try to find a better condition original with maybe a crack near the windshield vent.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The results are in. The cracked dash is the winner - by far.

Now that's going to save me some serious money.

Richard Newton
    Is a Restoration Ever Finished?

Banned
    I can't say I'm surprised at the results. Like most polls this one was flawed from the beginning; not enough choices in regard to replacements and ambiguity relating to "size" of crack.

So...

All of you in the Humpty Dumpty camp are ok with the dash below?

I guess the upside is that it's a great place to keep your wallet while driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just doin' what the people ask!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    And we're grateful for that!

If I've never said it publicly thanks for all of your hard work in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    I can't say I'm surprised at the results. Like most polls this one was flawed from the beginning; not enough choices in regard to replacements and ambiguity relating to "size" of crack.

So...

All of you in the Humpty Dumpty camp are ok with the dash below?

I guess the upside is that it's a great place to keep your wallet while driving.
    Oh the humanity! That picture should definitely be censored.
    Jeff Jensen