Thread: '66 Seat With Headrest Value/Aftermarket options

'66 Seat With Headrest Value/Aftermarket options

I'm considering swapping seats. I find myself pushing myself up into the seat while driving, then slipping back down. Seats look pretty good (a couple small separations) but the driver's springs are shot. I suppose one option would be two swap bottoms, since I almost never have passengers. But any thoughts on an aftermarket seat that would also solve my seat belt across the midsection problem and not look like it came out of a F150? Is there a way to modify a vintage Scheel seat for proper belts, or is my only option with true vintage seats having mounts welded in to properly align the belts across the hip bones? You can see I'm struggling between safety and aesthetics here, although the prior will ultimately be my guide.

Final question -- Any thoughts on the value of these '66 seats? Car is a '65 build.

Thanks, Joe

Name:  FOT6E03.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  63.2 KB
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Redo the bottom of the seat by a proffessional and it will feel like new.
    Plus interior looks are period correct.

Never sell original (if they are..) seats from the car, the loss of value to the car might be bigger than the eventual gain from selling its seats.

As for safety, imo the car offers little safety behond belts and in any serious crash w modern vehicules, one risk big damages to both its driver and car, even w belts on…
    Last edited by 911T1971; 12-30-2015 at 04:24 AM.
    Registry member No.773

True for offering little safety, Karim. But I feel I should take advantage of whatever I can get on that front. As to originality, I should have mentioned that this is a '66 912 with a '71 2.2 six.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

Check with PEP for seat belt ideas.
    I agree about saving the seats but if your original engine is lost, then that ship has sailed.
    Buy some comfy aftermarket seats and PEP belts and it will feel like new...JMHO
    H

Add a drivers seat

A lot of us have looked at and addressed this same problem. Here is a solution to the dilemma of adding a drivers seat without modifying an old car.

This seat mount is welded steel and utilizes the period stock latch and seat rails. The change over from the stock seat to this custom "R" seat is a mater of sliding out the original and sliding in the new seat. It is fully for-aft adjustable and seat back angle was measured for a comfortable rake and with shims the seat rake is also adjustable.

Store your original seat. They are getting harder to find.

(Both the seat and custom base are for sale).
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

PM sent on seat and custom base. Thanks. Looks like a great solution. Joe
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider