Thread: SWB koni struts. From when?

SWB koni struts. From when?

The Koni struts are dated 10.65 which kind of surprised me since I thought that the introduction of the 67S and Koni struts were kind of at the same time. Does any one have documentation from when on they were available? A technical bulletin by any chance? Any one have struts dated earlier?

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by preS; 01-03-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Richard,

I think Jason at Paragon might be able to help with your question....
    http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...show=75&page=2

Hope this helps,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I will send him an email but also would like to see technical information from that era. May be one of the collectors on this board has something.

BTW I have Porsche 356 shocks so I am aware that the relation Koni / Porsche started before the 911 just like to learn more.

Richard

I believe there is another stamp near the bottom, ( strut) where the ball joint bolts - up. Do they match? I have a 66/67 deluxe & think they are dated 67"......cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I believe there is another stamp near the bottom, ( strut) where the ball joint bolts - up. Do they match? I have a 66/67 deluxe & think they are dated 67"......cliff
    Cliff,

I will check for another date stamps on the same strut.

BTW isn't on the rears the date stamp near where you refer to?

Richard

I don't know. Not sure mine (rears) are original. Really have not checked, I will though. Just figured they were replacements as that is what I planned to do. Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-03-2016 at 04:02 PM.

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

http://ww.early911sregistry.org/foru...s-on-1967-911S
    This is what I refer to.....cliff

—Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

preS, your struts were produced in week 10 of 1965. Clearly very early production. I'm not sure how much info Koni will still have but I'll start the search in the morning when I get to work.
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.
    2010 VW GTI, Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Good info.
    Will check and report back.

Richard

From When....1963

Hi Richard,
    According to the literature, the official go ahead on the new design (901) was given in 1959 with the expectation of a completely new suspension. The McPherson strut design was desirable, giving a larger trunk area and also the new design was to be a “Grand Touring Type” with greater ride comfort then its predecessor. Testing drove home the realization of the McPherson design. On January 9, 1963 at a T 8 meeting is was decided to go ahead with the new design.

First, suitable suppliers would have to be found. To this end, Helmuth Bott and his colleagues conducted their test drives with struts from Koni and Boge. It’s my opinion, Boge got the early lion’s share of the business because of their four years of McPherson strut experience, thanks to cooperation with Ford and BMW. They may have been the low bidder as well.

#300005 was equipped with a set of these early prototype Koni’s. According to the original owner, a champion rally diver, with a grin on his face stated “his race colleagues were jealous he had Koni’s while they had to run Boge.” In his opinion the Koni’s were far superior for racing.

A while back, Jason at Paragon had me contact the manager of Koni North America for advice on reconditioning and remanufacturing my struts. I had the opportunity to inquire at that time as to the history. No luck. My guess, if any documentation is available, would reside in Koni Holland or the Porsche Museum archives in Zuffenhausen.

I look forward to seeing what turns up.

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images