Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Rough World" NOT

Rust is a problem in any vehicle built before 1975 based on my observations, progressive model years of S30s seem to hold up better or confine your search for one to the Southwest and California where many great examples still reside.

Like the 911 much of the drivetrain is interchangeable between the '70-'83 model years which opens up engine displacement, several different 5-speed transmission and rear diff options, close ratio and limited slip too.

I bought an S30Z straight out of high school and have had one for over 25 years. It's a very affordable classic car, parts are mostly available and are reasonable by comparison to what I've seen for most 911s or 356s.
    '73 240Z, L-28, Mikuni 44s, Konis, 5-speed, 3.90 CLSD

"Give this to, uh, Clemenza. I want reliable people, people who aren't going to be carried away. After all, we're not murderers, in spite of what this undertaker thinks."

Heavily medicated for your protection

Quote Originally Posted by Chigurh View Post
    Rust is a problem in any vehicle built before 1975 based on my observations, progressive model years of S30s seem to hold up better or confine your search for one to the Southwest and California where many great examples still reside.

Like the 911 much of the drivetrain is interchangeable between the '70-'83 model years which opens up engine displacement, several different 5-speed transmission and rear diff options, close ratio and limited slip too.

I bought an S30Z straight out of high school and have had one for over 25 years. It's a very affordable classic car, parts are mostly available and are reasonable by comparison to what I've seen for most 911s or 356s.
    As someone who has owned both, I want to hear how you feel about steering/handling. I drove a 240Z back in the 70s and felt it steered like a truck. Was that just because I came from a 911, or was there an upgrade to the steering gear to make it feel more agile?
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Replace rubber bushings in the steering rack, larger front sway bar and add a rear sway bar if your Z doesn't have one, nylon bushings all around. Lots of body roll unless you throw on adjustable shocks/springs or coilovers. The long nose is what throws me for a loop, looking down the hood of the 911 seems like it's easier by comparison.

I'm a purist and prefer the L-series motor which even in NA form with a tuned set of triples can rock right along on a prepared car. Road Atlanta video is running 2.4 plus the SUs.

Last edited by Chigurh; 01-08-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    '73 240Z, L-28, Mikuni 44s, Konis, 5-speed, 3.90 CLSD

"Give this to, uh, Clemenza. I want reliable people, people who aren't going to be carried away. After all, we're not murderers, in spite of what this undertaker thinks."

Heavily medicated for your protection