Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 65 911 fuel tank "sombrero"

65 911 fuel tank "sombrero"

Anyone know if the "tar" spare tire donuts are still available anywhere?
    I tried several places and Porsche, the piece seems to be NLA.
    I searched here and couldn't find a definitive answer except that it's a bitumen
    material. Maybe a roofing Co?
    Thanks.
    Peter

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Check the Thread: 1965 Gas tank colors and textures? in the General Info forum.

Bill Perrone of The Parts Shop in Huntington Beach makes the best replacement "tar paper" engine bay insulation for 356s. Maybe he would have some ideas.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks for that!

Banned

65 911 fuel tank "sombrero"

Anyone doing a replacement sombrero yet?

Hate to destroy this one but restoring the tank is next to impossible without doing so.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frank,
    DC Automotive was the last known source, he's been out for a while.
    There was a thread with suggestions late last year, it was said that a roofing supply place might be able to help.
    Please post what you come up with here, I'm sure others need the info. (me included!)
    Good luck.
    Peter

Banned
    Thanks Peter. I called Robert at DC and he laughed. Said its been ages ago that he had one.

I'll keep tracking down leads and report back. I am curious what the roofing product is?

Hi Frank.
    I was wondering what it was too. Franz "Moito" has had some success with stuff that he located in Austria, which is strange,
    I thought everything there was built with straw and cow dung.
    Maybe try him or search for the aforementioned thread here.

Banned
    I ate nothing but Fruit Loops for 2 days straight then mixed the aftermath with Brad Penn 10-30. The resulting black paste was the proper consistency but my crew refuses to come back into the shop to apply to the tank.

Let's see what Franz says after he wakes up.

I know roofers use a product "Oh Henry" roof coating. Blue can/black paste but P U

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    I ate nothing but Fruit Loops for 2 days straight then mixed the aftermath with Brad Penn 10-30. The resulting black paste was the proper consistency but my crew refuses to come back into the shop to apply to the tank.

Let's see what Franz says after he wakes up.
    Frank,me never sleeps(BTW thanks for the benjamin) ...working on this and for the correct surface texture i would need a good sample(10x10cm)
    the thing with the roofing stuff is that most of that stuff has got some fiber in it that makes it hard to draipe...

to be continued....