Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: experts needed !! 911 G modell Lightweight aluminium steering wheel 3 spoke

some area's are thicker, ( most on the side ) ( but top and end both have the same dimension as a normal steering wheel ( thoug 26mm instead of the 30mm thicker steering wheel) ( also the 74/75 Carrera steering wheel are from steel .. )

sadly no part number ( normal steel wheel also has no part number)

Quote Originally Posted by vipergruen View Post
    Seems a normal 74/75 2.7 carrera wheel to me (in the photo it seems thicker than the one on the right)...but don't know if they were aluminum in the first place. Has it a part number on it?

Interesting discussion. Can you post a photo of the stampings down inside the hub? These show VDM's internal model number and the date code stamped showing when it was built.

Also, the fat Carrera Sport wheels for 1974-1975 were hub centric! It was the replacement during the middle of the 1975 model year that was not hub centric (it was 10mm offset). The example steering Sport wheel you show in the first set of pictures with the steel frame is actually a later non-hub centric wheel since it is the pressed steel frame, so that isn't really a good comparison.

There is a photo of a similar wheel to yours, but for a 1978 928 Euro model, at the following link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-splines.html

They also mention that the early 928s used the same steering column shaft diameter and spline pitch as the 911, but I don't know for sure. Would be interesting to determine if the 928 wheel was hubcentric as well, since there may not have been the road homologation issues that Porsche had with the 911 Sport steering wheel for some markets (which is what originally caused them to change to the 10mm offset design).
    1974 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1975 Turbo 3.0 | 1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI Sondermodell | 2012 Cayenne S
    GONE >> 1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1977 Turbo 3.0 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 | 2004 GT3

It looks like you have the option 565 Carrera 'fatty' sport wheel and the standard later pressed stamped version of the three spoke which IIRC was on later SC and Carreras. The first one with the thick grip is hub centric and desirable, the second is less desirable depending on the hub. If it is option 18 with the extended hub then worth some extra $. These days lots of steering wheels are double wrapped, Dallas custom offers many beautifully done wheels where they take your core like the pressed / stamped one you have and make a fatty facsimile, so showing the aluminum T like you have on the fatty is good. Some fatty's were on the 74 RSR, according to the person who sold me mine I now have one but there is no real way to prove this.
    Lots of information on Pelican.

WP_20160113_002.jpg

looks like a intresting discussion.. 928.. 74 RSR.. 75 Turbo ..

Here is another wheel to throw in the mix. Fat and offset. Made of steel, not aluminum. Don't have any idea how to decode the date stamp or if it came from a 911 or a 928.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, Yours is from april 76
    mine is then from feb. 1975 !

other note... yours have the typical VW emblem ... mine don't ?????

Quote Originally Posted by m.vanderweerd-collector View Post
    WP_20160113_002.jpg

looks like a intresting discussion.. 928.. 74 RSR.. 75 Turbo ..
    Obviously you would need to check the steering wheels are for a 911 because the 928 and 944 both had three spoke steering wheels. A while ago there was a nice three spoke that some unscrupulous person had sold to naive new owner and told him it was 1975 only option wheel. Sadly it was for a 944. The three spoke was a 74 - 84 option. 74 - 77 it was a specific sport option, then in 77 became a standard on the SC. The the sport raised hub option 18 which I believe had been developed for the turbo so you could see the boost gauge, became the sport option. However there are Lots of people out there who know far more than me about Turbo options. The Carrera fatty was discontinued in 1977 after the C3

However what I find interesting is that it looks like you have the hub extender screwed in to the hub there. If it is a 911 wheel with correct splines, and it is the fatty you have please post more pics of the hub and extender. I have been looking for a factory extender and would really like to have some good reference.

Old post, but relevant to something I’m looking at now. What was the verdict on this aluminum, hub-centric fatty? Was it a 928 wheel, or 2.7 Carrera? Since it is so light, it seems like it would be interesting, no?