Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seinfeld vs. SCM: restore or enjoy the patina

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    Photographing patinated Porsches is a passion of mine. But I think this one might be a little too far gone for Jerry...
    Was that a recent fire? I remember seeing a burned 912 on a flatbed tow truck a few(?) months ago on Aurora Ave.

E

This photograph was made at Treffen 2014. It was a Porsche with a lid that looked like it had been in a fire. Not sure if the car was.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

About 12 years ago, I had a 1963 356 Damen for about 5 years. It was rusty and had fat door bottoms. I never took it on a track, but loved driving the snot out of that car. I even got such great pleasure out of pulling right up to the closest parking space at the grocery store! Something that my mind and body simply won't allow me to do with my '73 911, that still has original paint. I ultimately sold the 356 to a guy who fully restored it - and stopped driving it. I bought a 912 about 5 years ago, and loved driving it everywhere, even commuting to work daily for 4 years. Every day I felt like I was cheating somehow - driving a straight SWB car powered by a 356 engine that usually powers cars that rarely see the light of day - and loving every second, living the dream.

Although JS could certainly treat even the nicest of Porsches like that - I'm sure he has similar misgivings, and may also appreciate that lightness of being, without the guilt or unbearable part.

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    Photographing patinated Porsches is a passion of mine. But I think this one might be a little too far gone for Jerry...
    I used to own that dedk lid. It was installed on a 68 911 for Treffen, but came off a really nice, long time owned, 68 912, that suffered an unfortunate engine fire. The car was rebuilt and lives a nice life as a pampered 1968 912.

Regards

Jim

Small world!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I used to own that dedk lid. It was installed on a 68 911 for Treffen, but came off a really nice, long time owned, 68 912, that suffered an unfortunate engine fire. The car was rebuilt and lives a nice life as a pampered 1968 912.

Regards

Jim
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    Pretty good articles in the latest sports car market. (you can buy the feb issue on your tablet if that's easier). Apparently Seinfeld bought a rusty speedster that was panned in the SCM analysis as too expensive for the condition... He defends his purchase pretty well on grounds or originality and patina, vs Restorations that strip the car's history... followed by a rebuttal from Miles Collier. Very interesting re: the direction of the hobby, and where we fall. Check it out!

Ps: shouldn't say rusty, the actual chassis condition is a bit of a debate. Let's say cosmetically representative of 58 years of use ��
    I haven't seen the Sports Car Market article, but the $ 583k Speedster has been discussed on the 356 Registry and it's generally believed to lack originality. It's been said it was bought because of a strong resemblance to one of the first cars "the buyer" put in his collection.

I have no problem with someone who has the cash and wants something overpaying if that's what he wants to do, but the patina thing is going too far for my taste. Sure a car is only original once, but when it was originally original, it probably didn't have original rust showing through half the original paint or original stuffing showing through the original gaps in the original upholstery.

There are some gorgeous original cars left, but you can't both drive them and preserve them. I personally would rather have a car restored to look like it looked when it was original than have a car which very, very, very obviously hasn't been restored.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

According to Octane Magazine (issue 153) Seinfeld will be selling at Gooding's Amelia Island sale in March 18 cars. Curious to see what the other 15 cars are (beyond the 3 already advertised)

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

The Seinfeld cars are listed here:

http://www.goodingco.com/category/amelia-island-2016/

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    . . . The Seinfeld cars are listed here:

http://www.goodingco.com/category/amelia-island-2016/ . . .

Attached Images Attached Images           

We Can Be Heroes

More . . .

Attached Images Attached Images          

We Can Be Heroes