Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Like Most About an Early 911 is . . . .

What I Like Most About an Early 911 is . . . .

. . . that there's almost nothing between me and the driving

NO power-assist = when I turn the wheel, I can feel the road . . . not some Engineer's algorithm of one

NO Safety Shyte = push pedal = feel the tires + brakes + road interacting. Get it wrong = get hurt + go broke

NO ding-a-ling-a-lation when I open the door with the key on . . . or my seat-belt un-done . . . or any other effing thing. If I wanna open the door to hear the engine run, then I don't wanna hear a din-a-ling-a-lator while I'm doing it

Besides --- if I ever do ball this thing up? . . . . the flames will prolly take care of anything that the seat-belts saved, anyway . . .
    . . . provided, of course, that the 4 screws holding the seat to a forward-pivoting wood frame haven't let go and squoze my face + torso out through the windshield

I mean seriously --- FEAR is an excellent safety device, IMO

Furthermore . . .

I don't care that it's slow
    I don't care that it's hard to drive
    I don't care that it's noisy . . .
    . . . or that it smells . . .
    . . . or that the seats are uncomfortable . . .

. . . or that nobody wants to drive it but me

I want a car that involves me --- totally . . .

. . . that requires me to actively/knowledgeably/passionately take part in what's going on . . .

. . . not something that does everything for me

+ F&ck comfort

Seriously

I'll take it easy ------------------------------------------------------ when I'm dead

We Can Be Heroes

NO front engine...

I love the sound of the engine pulling at 5000 rpm. I love the quirky shift pattern. I love how small and nimble it is. I love the thin leather steering wheel.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I love the sound of the engine when I down shift into second gear when approaching a stop sign and the thumbs up I receive from the neighborhood kids. Reminds me of when I was kid and did the same thing.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    I love the sound of the engine when I down shift into second gear when approaching a stop sign and the thumbs up I receive from the neighborhood kids. Reminds me of when I was kid and did the same thing.
    +1 could not of said it better

Love the small size, too

Small car + light weight + decent power = slap shot control response

Easy to park and tool-around in, too

Have you seen the latest 911s?

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

NO power-assist = when I turn the wheel, I can feel the road . . . not some Engineer's algorithm of one

NO Safety Shyte = push pedal = feel the tires + brakes + road interacting. Get it wrong = get hurt + go broke

NO ding-a-ling-a-lation when I open the door with the key on . . . or my seat-belt un-done . . . or any other effing thing. If I wanna open the door to hear the engine run, then I don't wanna hear a din-a-ling-a-lator while I'm doing it

Besides --- if I ever do ball this thing up? . . . . the flames will prolly take care of anything that the seat-belts saved, anyway . . .
    . . . provided, of course, that the 4 screws holding the seat to a forward-pivoting wood frame haven't let go and squoze my face + torso out through the windshield

Furthermore . . .

. . . that requires me to actively/knowledgeably/passionately take part in what's going on . . .

+ F&ck comfort

Seriously

I'll take it easy ------------------------------------------------------ when I'm dead
    Where is the "I Like" button?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

Furthermore . . .

+ F&ck comfort

Seriously

I think you covered it !

The new 911s do nothing for me.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

the new cars are heavier but not a lot larger in dimensions - they just seem larger because every concave surface on the old cars is now convex - likely to improve airflow

while I like the small size (and large kid or cargo capacity) of my 911, it is actually a LOT larger than I'd like - a sports car should be just a bit larger than motorcycle - the Bug-eyed Sprite is about the smallest sports car I know of

Seems quite a bit larger to my eye...

Name:  50-Years-of-Porsche-911-12.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  48.5 KBName:  porsche-s-iconic-911-celebrating-50-years_3.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  62.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    the new cars are heavier but not a lot larger in dimensions - they just seem larger because every concave surface on the old cars is now convex - likely to improve airflow

while I like the small size (and large kid or cargo capacity) of my 911, it is actually a LOT larger than I'd like - a sports car should be just a bit larger than motorcycle - the Bug-eyed Sprite is about the smallest sports car I know of
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616