Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the brown/ tan / beige carpet thread

the brown/ tan / beige carpet thread

Over the last few years there has been a lot of discussion, and lots of useful information, about the "browns" that were available for carpet over the years. This has extended to "beige" in a recent thread as well.

Unfortunately, for reference purposes, most of these threads have started off from a "for sale" thread mainly when someone is posting some brown/ beige/ tan / cinnamon carpet for sale and apart from bumping/ hijacking the thread the useful information often gets lost or after the sale the debate finishes only to start again with a different for sale post.

I have recently seen some different old pieces of "brown" carpet that Clyde has purchases from EASY and from Paul Chappell and compared it with the new brown that both Clyde has in one of his cars and I have in mine that I got from a find that Alex had a few years ago, to try to work out once and for all if there were both a "brown" and "tan" (maybe also called cinnamon in different markets) in 1973. The same debate about "brown" and "beige" in earlier cars has been going on in this post.

Franz had this brown carpet for sale in this post last year.

Name:  franz.JPG
Views: 971
Size:  288.8 KBName:  franz1.JPG
Views: 970
Size:  339.3 KB
    It is definitely brown, and has the same tan colored piping as my original carpet did but is much browner than I had in my car before it was replaced. That raised a question of whether mine had faded dramatically or was originally a different Brown to what Franz had for sale (and I now have in my car ). I have always thought it was a lighter tan color as i have see a number of cars here, some low mileage survivors, with a lighter tan colored carpet like this on a 43,000 mile 1971 car
    Name:  911300391  43k miles.png
Views: 994
Size:  606.5 KB

Last year in this post Alex (911_2.2T) here offered the left over pieces of the carpet set he had when he and I both used it in our cars. This thread produced a lot of discussion about whether or not there was one or two "browns" in the early 70's whether this was accurate for 1973 etc.

Yesterday i had the chance to compare the carpet Clyde got from Paul Chappell recently (which has a part number and color code on it) with some darker brown carpet on the back of some seat backs he got from EASY (both the exposed bits and some that were protected from the sun.
    the photo of Paul's piece is below with the 400 color code
    Name:  IMG_0393.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  181.4 KB
    That color is definite much different to the darker brown now in my car which is the same as what Alex was selling recently (below)
    Alex's (and my) carpet has the white flecks through it a bit like the salt and pepper black carpet

Name:  IMG_9280.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  86.9 KBName:  IMG_9281.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  159.3 KB

However it also does not show the weave as well as the "pile" seems to cover it up unlike with the piece that came from Paul or the look of the carpet that was in my car before i replaced it, or indeed the look of the darker brown carpet Franz sold.

The pieces from EASY however have cleared up a significant piece of the issue in my mind. The next photos show a part of carpet hidden by the strap for the seat and the rest of the carpet piece on the back of the rear seat including some that was hidden away while on the car.

Name:  IMG_0388.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  233.7 KBName:  IMG_0390.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  224.1 KB

The difference in color between the protected part and the rest is easy to see and the part where the strap was still shows some white flecks of pile like on the more recent carpet.
    This suggests that the color can fade dramatically over 40+ years and also the pile on the new carpet that hides the weave (and what I was worried about as not being "original looking") probably was how it started out. So maybe a number of cars that looked like they had a lighter brown interior may have indeed started with a darker one.

However that does not solve the "two browns" argument as the following pictures show
    Name:  IMG_0392.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  130.5 KBName:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  148.9 KB

The color of the carpet from Paul is definitely completely different and is almost certainly the "tan" or maybe "cinnamon" depending on the market.
    Looking at the color codes it can be seen that the brown one has code 401 in what looks like European handwriting (and Paul's is 400 which, to me, may or may not be European handwriting)

I looked in Peter Morgan's "original Porsche 911 book, which while it does have a few errors and omissions is the only reference book I have that has color codes and descriptions for carpet as well as the rest of the interiors.

It says in 1972/73 there was "needle loom" carpet in brown (401) and nylon velour carpet in "dark tan" (402). T's had the "special" nylon and E's and S's had Velour pile in black and brown although other colors were available to special order.

This, to me, confirms the two brown colors, although I'm not sure if the "400" color on Paul's piece is yet another brown or not (all the browns are 400's, blacks 700's, blue / greens 300's and maroons seem to be 000's) as for other material (leatherette, corduroy etc) the "tans" are 500 codes, so maybe it should have a 500 number on that piece rather than a 400 one.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Interesting thread. All new to me, subscribed!
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Hugh, just to add,as an owner of a cinnamon/32 interior. It is original and still in the car. You are correct that it fades to a tan, the carpet, over the years. The parts that are protected from UV are the salt and pepper that you observe. Maybe with a little less salt than your example. The new stuff looks really good color wise but the nap is not the same. The one thing with all the original faded and not so faded that I have seen was that the binding was the same. The strange liver color with some grain and an unfolded or unfinished edge. The Easy carpet is the real deal. I have never seen Chappell's color and it is not what is in a cinnamon car. I guess it is factory.The first examples in your photos the binding and the rubber portion does not look quite on. But the color of the carpet looks close. My car is 10.72 build for Italy. I have seen a number of cinnamon cars for the US market and the carpet is the same as mine. That's all I know.
    Last edited by steve shea; 02-21-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

My COA, or whatever it was referred to in 1988, stated cinnamon leatherette/32. Where cinnamon originated I do not know. But I know what it is. A two tone vinyl that is NLA and the carpet is the stuff in the discussion. I also had a '72S with a letter of authenticity signed by Jurgen Barth that stated interior color cinnamon. Both the car and documents long gone.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Maybe Cinnamon is code 42 ?
    Seen/Available only for 1972 and 1973 Special Colors Interiors/Special trim.

Code 42 has Madras seat inserts, a special brown carpet ("Nylon Velours Brown" No.42), a brown leatherettte and car needs to be ordered with special exterior color too. I now recall seeing such a seat, its a very dark but reddish brown.

Maybe carpet code 42 was available also with 32 Beige interiors…because in both RoW 72 and 73 Color Charts, code 32 is for interior trim > leatherette beige , seats > leatherette beige, seat inserts > Corduroy beige.

(Edited)
    Last edited by 911T1971; 09-22-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Karim
    or maybe "cinnamon" is one of those names that was used in certain markets instead of "beige" or 'tan' just like there were different names for viper green and some blues in different markets but the Color was the same

Steve thanks for your comments on the 'cinnamon' and it being different to what paul Chappell provided. Maybe HIS piece is from a post 73 car regardless of the part number and thus is really a different colour completley to what was available for our cars
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    My car, a '69S has Beige Leatherette interior/9824 and is very light. My original carpet is similar to the sample shown above. I've gone with a lighter Oatmeal square weave now, but here is a comparison shot. As well as some pics of where I'm going with it--also see my thread in the General section for more on my car and it's interior.
    Name:  IMG_0960.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  163.9 KBName:  IMG_0952.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  92.7 KB

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hi,

In this link to a restored 73.5T with tan carpet it is easy to see what light did to it, you need to scroll down a bit...:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/724856...7659562733646/

Cheers,

Cees

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    Fantastic car--I love the 2-color parcel shelf that keeps the beige below and the black on top to tie in all the way back to the dash. I also really like the beige across the dash, which also links the door panels across--excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Hi,

In this link to a restored 73.5T with tan carpet it is easy to see what light did to it, you need to scroll down a bit...:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/724856...7659562733646/

Cheers,

Cees

My car is a Nov 72 car delivered to Italy, with interior 42 on the CAO. We found the original 42 Porsche fabric and there were some original (brown) leatherette parts still in the car, based on which we selected/matched samples. Based on that we did a full seat restoration:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  120.9 KB