Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 S - 2.7 RS MFI pumps

2.4 S - 2.7 RS MFI pumps

There are a couple "big" pumps for sale on the board currently. I respect the sellers wanting to keep the discussion focused on their pumps, so I decided to post my questions here vs hijack their for sale posts. My curiosity stems from the fact that they show the casting numbers as XX72 and state that these would be correct for a 73 RS car/engine. I have two pumps 013 (32/72) and 021 (41/72) that both are dated 72, but I always figured they were 2.4 S pumps...difference being one was euro and one was US issue. I do have a third pump 019 which I cannot access right now to discern the pump date. Can someone clarify please?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    registry# 1283

The wonderful world of dated parts
    there are a couple (at least) of different dates on each of those MFI pumps you posted
    there are the casting dates that you highlight which is when that particular part of the pump was cast (I am not sure but it is possible that there may be more than one casting date on a pump due to components being made at different times)

then there is the date that Bosch completed the pump from the assembled parts. This can be determined from the Bosch plates that you posted which are attached to the completed pump and show date made, type of pump and serial number for the pump.
    the date made is determined by decoding the first 3 numbers in the top line of the plate, 322 on the first one and 231 on the second. 322 represents February 1973 (the decoding sheets for the DIN / Bosch date codes have been posted here a few times) and 231 is for November of 1972

the type of pump (ie engine it was made for) is determined by the space cam inside it which is numbered but can't be accessed without pulling the pump apart. It essential is a means of mechanically mapping the fuel delivery taking all sorts of things including temperature, altitude, engine revs etc into account.
    Given that that part can't normally be accessed The pump type is also stamped into that data plate. For completeness given you have posted this here to be more of an educational post and although you have stated one is USA, and the other is euro, the first photo it is a "021" pump (full number 0408 126 021) which is for a 72/73 USA 911S. The second one is a 013 pump which is for a Euro / ROW 72/73 911S. Both are for 2.4 displacement engines. An RS one would be an "019" number
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

The casting dates in the pump portion of the body doesnt mean a whole lot with regard to the manufacturing date of the pump. The pump body is always going to be cast several months prior to the building of the actual pump . I have three pumps , one had a build date of July of 1971 but the pump body was cast in January of 71. I have another that was built in July of 72 and the pump body was cast in April of 72, and then I have a third one that was built in September of 72, and the pump body was cast the 22nd week of 72 which would be early June.

Hugh, the 021 pump is commonly regarded as a 72 - 73 911S pump for the North American market. It sure is strange how many 013 pumps are here though. I wouldn't be surprised if the 021 pump didn't come into play until sometime in the 1973 model year. Does anybody have any 021 pumps that have a 71 or early 72 build date?

Here's a bit of useless information. The pump portion began being cast in aluminum either the 23rd or 24th week of 1972. I only say that because I have a magnesium pump body cast the 22nd week of 1972 and I recently saw an aluminum body cast the 24th week of 72.
    But wait, there's more. The regulator portion of the pump went aluminium first, but since there are no casting dates in those, the change to aluminum happened in pumps built between July and September of 72.
    Last edited by Gearby; 02-22-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    Hugh, the 021 pump is commonly regarded as a 72 - 73 911S pump for the North American market. It sure is strange how many 013 pumps are here though. I wouldn't be surprised if the 021 pump didn't come into play until sometime in the 1973 model year. Does anybody have any 021 pumps that have a 71 or early 72 build date?

I am not sure but did you have an emissions change part way though the model year? the pump has a differently numbered space cam as well which i would have thought was because it was re profiled to adapt to some change.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Here's a bit of useless information. The pump portion began being cast in aluminum either the 23rd or 24th week of 1972. I only say that because I have a magnesium pump body cast the 22nd week of 1972 and I recently saw an aluminum body cast the 24th week of 72.
    Very early 2.7 RSs had the 019 MFI pump still cast in magnesium, 23rd or 24th week of 1972 sounds early but taking into account a 3/4 month delay in the actual fitting of the pump it maybe fits with an october 1972 build date.
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Quote Originally Posted by vipergruen View Post
    Very early 2.7 RSs had the 019 MFI pump still cast in magnesium, 23rd or 24th week of 1972 sounds early but taking into account a 3/4 month delay in the actual fitting of the pump it maybe fits with an october 1972 build date.
    Agree with dates...but those casting batches were also used a bit later than October built RS...

Interested to read posts from Hugh, Gearby and Andrea. The information tallies with the original MFI 019 pump fitted to my first-series RS. As stated there were a number of months' delay from its casting date stamp to assembly of a complete pump with a plate ...and then further lead time of months before assembling completed pump with that date coded plate into the car with its build date 12/72 as certified by factory letter and various other sources.

(Coincidentally I'm doing to check the other dated / coded components*).

Interesting point made by Gearby on aluminium vs magnesium. I didn't know it was changed so never thought to look at the pump material which I have always presumed to be magnesium. Another point to check next time I'm with the car.

SP

*Having recently got a copy of the Simeone Foundation book on "Stewardship..." I'm in the process of checking provenance to very precisely determine the "genuine surviving parts of the original car" per book's chapter 2. An interesting exercise and so far proving most encouraging in what exists. In that context, posts such as this one are very timely. The Bosch date code system that I have posted again below...but does anyone have a similar list of codes or ways of date translation for the other major original equipment suppliers, particularly components used in 1972 for model year 73?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-23-2016 at 12:12 PM.

For reference, I have a 019 pump on my RS, 3'rd series, 'born' in April '73...and the first three digits on the serial # plate are 323
    Last edited by 69Sman; 02-23-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Hi

You probaly know that your pump with Bosch code 323 dates from March 1973

I previously posted this table elsewhere and others have posted similar information, but here is the Bosch 3 digit code > month /year conversion table. Thought it would help if duplicated here rather than flipping between threads:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  126.3 KB

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-23-2016 at 12:35 PM.