Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Prices of a 912 turned into a 911

Discussion: Prices of a 912 turned into a 911

Hello,

before I get and frowned faces I'd like to explain the situation.

I am looking to be a owner of a 911 in the nearest future but as the prices are as they are then I need to make the money for it.

So, I might be buying a 1967 912 that has been in a little accident and needs some bodywork, but nothing too serious. The serious part is that is has a 37kW old VW Beetle engine in it. Supposedly does great MPG but doesn't represent Porsche as it should be.

The Goal: To fix this machine up and keep it from dying. To sell the car for maximum profit and use the money I've made to buy a 911 with an original motor and good enough status so I could own it forever.

The Dilemma: Should I be looking for an original 912 engine of that year to fit into the car or could I look for a 911 engine to fit inside and turn the car into a fun ride suitable for even track days. Keep in mind that I wouldnt want to change anything else about the car, keep it as originals as I can and just fix it up.

In your opinnion, what would the market take of a car like this. As it wouldn't have any matching numbers it wouldn't be a show car. It would be a drivers car. Would fitting in a 911 engine make me a bigger profit and get me closer to my very own 911.

The push-forward: I would be fixing it up on somewhat of loaned money so I cant really intend to keep it to myself.

The bright side: Whatever the outcome, I'd be keeping another Porsche on the road, rather to let it die in a wet swamp.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elisterr View Post
    Hello,

before I get and frowned faces I'd like to explain the situation.

I am looking to be a owner of a 911 in the nearest future but as the prices are as they are then I need to make the money for it.

So, I might be buying a 1967 912 that has been in a little accident and needs some bodywork, but nothing too serious. The serious part is that is has a 37kW old VW Beetle engine in it. Supposedly does great MPG but doesn't represent Porsche as it should be.

The Goal: To fix this machine up and keep it from dying. To sell the car for maximum profit and use the money I've made to buy a 911 with an original motor and good enough status so I could own it forever.

The Dilemma: Should I be looking for an original 912 engine of that year to fit into the car or could I look for a 911 engine to fit inside and turn the car into a fun ride suitable for even track days. Keep in mind that I wouldnt want to change anything else about the car, keep it as originals as I can and just fix it up.

In your opinnion, what would the market take of a car like this. As it wouldn't have any matching numbers it wouldn't be a show car. It would be a drivers car. Would fitting in a 911 engine make me a bigger profit and get me closer to my very own 911.

The push-forward: I would be fixing it up on somewhat of loaned money so I cant really intend to keep it to myself.

The bright side: Whatever the outcome, I'd be keeping another Porsche on the road, rather to let it die in a wet swamp.
    No frown face but certainly a puzzled one. Just in case this isn't a gag I'll continue.
    Anytime I hear the word "machine" used to describe a car, the flags are raised. You would be better off gathering loose change under a roller coaster than use this crazy scheme to make money. BTW: Why would someone loan you money for this?
    Saving another Porsche? No reward in heaven or on earth for that.

Here's my advice: Get a job to start saving money for your dream car but make sure it doesn't interfere with high school.

I have to agree with everything Frank just said.

There are so many bad ideas here I hesitate to get started.

Richard Newton
    Historic Race Car Images

Yet there are numerous 912 cars driving around with a 911 engine and that's the one and only modification done to the car. Afterall, thats all that seperates the two.

*Yeah, I used the word "machine" but as English (US) is not my native language then I don't see a problem here*

If the decision is simply based on changing only one thing then the answer is easy: source a 912 engine. There are quite a few modifications that need to be made to stuff a six the hole where a four was originally. However if you spend the extra time and money to fit a six in there wouldn't then basically have a 911? What is the point in selling this to buy something almost identical? Prays society is much more accepting of a transgendered car.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

I see a few flaws in the plan... It always costs more to fix them than you think. You are picking a 912, which costs as much as a 911 to fix, but returns less $. Seems like an unnecessary step fraught with complications. If the experience of driving an early 911 is what you are after, then buy the 912 for you, put a flat 6 in it, enjoy. As a resale/work your way up deal, no....
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I have never made a dime on anything I've ever touched with a wrench. The moment you do, you and your money will never be reunited.

Flips are just that... no work. Everything else is a bad idea for making money. I don't care what the shows on TV tell you.

Buy a 912 to drive a 912. They are equally expensive to fix, and just as much fun to drive.
    1996 993 black/tan

Why not buy the 912 and drive it around with the VW engine? Spend as little money as possible to keep it on the road. You'll have fun (probably more fun) and learn some things in the process. Maybe buy your dream car down the road.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Since 912s have been rapidly gaining in value, I suggest that you keep the car a straight 912. First of all, a 912 engine will be easier to locate and much cheaper to buy. Secondly, the 912 4 cylinder engine will be considerably easier to work on and cheaper in required repairs to get on the road. While doing that, keep the VW engine in the car and enjoy it. In the meantime, if you want more "go power" hot rod the crap out of the VW and blow away other early 911s.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

I have to agree with Jerry G. You can buy or build an upgraded 912 motor that will come close to a 911T in horsepower while weighing less and costing much less.