Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Down at Terminal Island

4 1/2 inch Fuchs and driving lamps

Jim
    Yes the car now sits on 4 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels in correct finish. When Pat had the car it was on a nice set of deep sixes which ended up going onto another board member's SWB in San Antonio. We put on the clear anodized lug nuts since this image was taken at the shop five years ago.

Beh911
    I asked the original owner that same question about the lamps. He special ordered this car and as it was the second of two brand new 1967 911S cars that he bought for tourist delivery that year he was familiar with all the optional equipment that the factory offered. These are the "above the bumper" driving lamps installed by Porsche and do not use cut out horn grills. The lamps are mounted on a bracket with a steel tongue that projects forward between the uncut bars of the horn grills. I seem to recall that the rally prepped car shown on the cover of the factory High Performance Driver pamphlet published in 1967 may have a similar installation. Perhaps Allen Henderson or Soterik has more insight on these large diameter lamps.

Pat
    Great to see you came back on the board! Say, you never told me that Chuck had turned a little tire in your ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Flunder; 03-28-2016 at 06:31 AM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

I believe Chuck Stoddard's 67S also had the same light arrangement. I saw it at the Hershey Parade.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

How a story unfolds

A man moves out of his building.

An old inaccessible filing cabinet yields a long forgotten folder.

An old photo falls out of the folder.

Recorded on the back of the photo the man recognizes his hand written notation of date and chassis number.

He logs onto E911S and enters the chassis number in the search box.

He finds Pat's old sale listing for that same car and reaches out.

Pat puts me in touch with the man.

I dial up the man's number and leave a message.

When he calls back the man tells a story of a young lieutenant who visited his grandparents down on the heel of the boot of Italy a long time ago, at the end of summer in 1967.

He is a good man.

Sam Cabiglio is the man's name.
    Last edited by Flunder; 12-01-2016 at 06:18 AM.
    Early 911S Registry

Thumbs up

Just got off the phone with Sam with him confirming and relating the story.......... and other wonderful 'the older we get, the faster we were' stories....

The world is in fact shrinking...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Cool story! :-)
    Are the original driving lights longe gone?
    In case you are looking for those, I have a pair that I probably won´t use after all.

Name:  TTG early pressphoto_1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  98.3 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Third switch for driving lamps

Hello Schiefer

Yes you are correct; the driving lamps are in fact long gone.

Only the switch on the dash remains and is mounted where the emergency flasher switch appears on a USA spec 67S as shown on the image below. Some old wiring is still behind the horn grills but no brackets.

The original owner seems to recall that the speedo was switched to MPH on this car at the factory before being imported in the USA but it was a long time ago and Pat had the instruments rebuilt.
    Last edited by Flunder; 03-30-2016 at 05:31 AM.
    Early 911S Registry

Optional equipment for non USA only

I am told these lamps were unavailable on USA spec cars due to DOT lighting regulations.

Ed Mayo - thank you for the heads up that Chuck Stoddard's beautiful 67S has this same driving lamp arrangement.

Andrew, DanM and George K: thanks for your posts; I am glad you enjoyed the story.

Schiefer: thank you for posting the factory publicity photo of the Euro spec 67S adorned with not only those optional driving lamps but also a chic young woman dressed fashionably for a day in the country.
    Last edited by Flunder; 03-28-2016 at 06:08 AM.
    Early 911S Registry

Why I love our Registry . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Congratulations Tom, fantastic story
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Thanks for the PM! Reply sent with detail pics of the lights I have.
    There is some info about the brackets in one of the old up-fixin der Porsche. Attaching what I have stored over the years from ESREG and Pelican. The big question is if these brackets are identical to what the factory used? Maybe someone with access to the Chuck Stoddard car could check??

Best, Radmund

Name:  TTG+bracket+up+fixin+11295887700.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  TTG+brackets+made+2+web1295887778.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  TTG+brackets+made+3+web1295887797.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  TTG+brackets+made+5+web1295887824.jpg
Views: 376