Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Down at Terminal Island

Great pics and story!!

I've seen the factory picture with the young lady and the horn grill mount driving lights. I've not seen a set of the brackets that were OEM, only the "made up" versions like the Upfixin article and pictured above. The lights in both pictures appear to be the slightly larger "Mercedes" driving light in the H1 version. H1 version as my guess as the Hella 118's I have had in the H1 version had that same bar right behind the glass that holds the bulb. The H3 versions had the bulb entry from the back center of the reflector. I say the Mercedes style as well due to the screw in the base of the trim ring as that's an identifier of the light for me, and also to me they look a bit "larger" in the image than a Hella 118. I'm not certain how easy to find, but eventually you'll find them. I would try Ebay, or even German Ebay.

Here's a link w/ a nice pic from an old thread (references the pic above as well):
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=mercedes

Cheers,
    Eric

Hella H-1 Driving Lamps

Soterik;

Thank you for the post which is very helpful.

Based on your description of this type of driving lamp, the ones in the attached images appear to be a match:

-Hella H-1 version

-same bar right behind the glass

-screw in the base of the trim ring

-look a bit "larger"

Thanks again,
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Does anyone have similar drawings for construction of the TTG 118 brackets. Seen them for sale in various places but would like to make some myself to correct spec for own use.

member #1515
    I doubt you can make them cheaper or better.
    http://sycipworks.tripod.com/id1.html
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Dear Flunder,

can you send me photos of your marvelous 911s?

This is my email address: chiccona_68@libero.it

Is restored or survivor you 911 s?

Sincerely

giorgio s ballotta

Thanks for the link David

Quote Originally Posted by giorgio salerno-ballotta View Post
    . . . can you send me photos of your marvelous 911s? . . .
    Another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=911s

We Can Be Heroes

KPPC Pasadena

She had been dozing half awake in bed for at least an hour when the alarm sounded. She was startled just the same when the pink RCA clock radio on the stand next to her bed started blaring her favorite deejay, Jeff "Bonzo" Gonzer spinning Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” on KPPC Pasadena. When the song ended, Bonzo reminded his listeners, at the top of his lungs, that it was 5:30 am on Friday, October 13, 1967.

On the way out the door she left the Times undisturbed on the welcome mat and piled into her mom’s hand me down, baby blue ‘59 bug cabriolet. Like almost every autumn morning in Los Angeles, the day was nearly perfect. But the weather made no impression on her. She was anxious to get going and didn’t pause even to fold the top down.

When she came to the intersection on East Ocean Boulevard, Bonzo was playing the Box Tops’ “Expressway to My Heart.” She tapped her nails on the bug’s steering wheel in time with the music and flicked her bright blue eyes across the mirrors. When she rolled the light and made the turn onto Ocean, she dropped the shifter into second and gassed it hard, just like Sam taught her. In her wake, the beach quickly disappeared in the mirrors.

She hurried along for about a mile, tapping her nails all the while, and singing along with the Box Tops. When she saw Sam waiting just ahead, she nosed the bug over towards the curb, double clutched the 4-2 downshift and then leaned over across the passenger seat to pull the door handle.

He was dressed casually that morning but carried his old Leica and a file folder. After he hopped in and pecked her on the cheek she pulled back out onto Ocean. From there, it was pretty much a straight shot to Terminal Island.

When she drove up to the quay, the water in the channel shimmered in the morning light and stretched out in an unbroken sheet of glass across the harbor. She rolled her eyes when Sam told her the luminescence of the morning fog and reflections on the channel made the harbor scene look just like the best Turners of the Grand Canal, Her family was German of course, so Sam made a point of taking every opportunity to impress her with the many beauties of the old country, where his grandparents still lived, down on the heel of the boot of Italy. He was still running on about the shimmering sky and water when she saw the red Ess sitting on the quay with the freighter Johan U just beyond. She took a moment to gaze at the way the water met the sky in that early morning haze.

But when she took the wheel and turned the key, the flat six fired immediately. The shifter fell readily to hand, just like Denis Jenkinson said it would, and she slotted it across the dog leg into first. As she drove the red Ess slowly along the quay, she watched Sam frame it all in the lens of the Leica to record the event. Once she positioned the car satisfactorily for the left rear, three quarter shot, Steffi punched the button for the FM band and then tuned the the dial of the Frankfurt to KPPC Pasadena. When Bonzo spun “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman,” she sang out loud along with Aretha and tapped her nails on the leather rim of the wheel.
    Last edited by Flunder; 04-01-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Early 911S Registry

....I guess you were there!

Engine Lid Paint Detail

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    ....I guess you were there!
    Darren;

The caption writer went over the top on that one. But it seemed like a good idea to try to capture the moment in the context of the pre-Vietnam SoCal 60's rather than go with a bare bones caption like: "LR Three Quarter View."

In any event, the really interesting thing about that image is that it provides a good view of the area under the grille on the engine lid.

The 67S crowd will be wondering if Raadmund has been correct after all in saying that late in the production year, the 67S cars dd not have the black out paint treatment under the engine lid grilles.

Like his Lavender 67S, the Polo Red 67S down at Terminal Island is in the 3084xx range and both cars have build dates in July.

Here is the thread discussing this paint detail:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=black+grille

In the meantime, I heard from Bantam, who sent a nice email officially welcoming the car into the Zoll Plate Club. Ha ha.
    Last edited by Flunder; 04-01-2016 at 06:14 AM.
    Early 911S Registry