Thread: ATTN: Radio Sleuths: '61/'62 Blaupunkt Bemen GREEN FACE Euro-Spec radio or a '56/57?

ATTN: Radio Sleuths: '61/'62 Blaupunkt Bemen GREEN FACE Euro-Spec radio or a '56/57?

Hi All,

I had aspirations of installing this in a '77 911 resto-mod conversion I am building, complete with an Aurora FM conversion and bluetooth adapter to match my custom green face gauges. Well, for a variety of reasons that is not going to happen, so I am going to put this up for sale once I figure out what I actually have.

I've done some research and based on the information posted on this site here (http://derwhites356literature.com/De...nktRadios.html) this radio looks to be Porsche factory spec Blaupunkt Bremen. I am stressing factory because of the green lines and numbers on the face of the radio. As opposed to the more common ( per Derwhite) dealer-installed white face Bremens.

Quoting from the website; '"The source of these dealer supplied radios, more often than not, was the local Blaupunkt distributor, not the Porsche factory. Hence, many new 356's may have had Blaupunkt radios installed with white lines and numbers by the dealers. Of course, there are lots of other explanations. There is more information about the "green-face controversy", but DerWhite seems to make a strong case that green faces are factory radios.

This radio has a paper serial number that begins with the letter "E" , which again, according to DerWhites website, denotes a 1961/62 production date. Additionally, based on the letters on the buttons, it appears to be a factory Euro-spec radio rather than a US dealer-installed Bremen. However, this where the plot thickens. According to the less user-friendly radiomusem.org website, this radio appears to most closely resemble the 1956/1957 Blaupunkt Bremen.
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/blaupunkt_bremen_5.html. All the numbers in the indicator range match as do the alignment of the "M" and "L" buttons. And unfortunately, Derwhite's site does not actually show a picture of a '56/'57 Bremen, it only states that it was an available option.

So sleuths, what do you guys think I have? Thanks in advance. (And "yes" I sent an inquiry to Charlie White).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I've never heard of the letter codes at the beginning of the Blaupunkt serial number being off. They should be:

K 1956-1957
    S 1957-1958
    G 1958-1959
    Q 1959-1960
    D 1960-1961
    E 1961-1962
    T 1962-1963
    U 1963-1964
    V 1964-1965
    W 1965-1966
    X 1966-1967
    Y 19671968
    Z 1968-1969
    A 1969-1970
    etc.

With the two photos you've supplied, your radio matches this image of a 1961/1962 Blaupunkt Bremen from http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/blaupunkt_bremen_lm.html as well as it matches the 1956/1957 Blaupunkt Emden (oops--should have typed "Bremen") in your link.

By the way, I think the main difference between "US-Specification" and "European" specification was the FM band. At least the only radios in Porsche accessories brochures with separate USA and European versions were radios with FM receivers. Of course the labels on the buttons would be different.

The US FM band went up to 108 MHz from way back while European FM stopped at about 100 or 101 MHz then later 104 MHz before finally matching the US band. I think in 1961 it was still 100 or 101 MHz.

The one knob on your radio looks like a 911/912 knob.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 03-26-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by carsandcapp View Post
    Thanks Jim.
    European radios differ with the AM band , as well, as the FM band. Europe uses 2 AM bands like the radio shown in this thread.

Jim

You have a '61 - '62 radio for sure. Don't know about the dial plate but those are interchangeable for 25 years of blaupunkts. Someone probably changed it out looking for green to match the gauges.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

61-62 face plates have green numbers. They changed to white in 63.

Jim