Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Hill Country Rallye - March 31 - April 3

mad scientist
    2016Hill Country Rallye Recap.

Fifteen Years. Wow. It has been that long that what is now the Hill Country Rallye (HCR) has been bringing Porsches together. There were so many great things that happened over the weekend it is hard to know where to begin.

The Fifteenth Anniversary is usually associated with crystal. Using a definition from chemistry, Crystals are ordered groupings of atoms where the order extends in all directions. There is some elements (pardon the pun) of crystals that show up in our latest edition of the Hill Country Rally held from March 31 to April, 3 2016. In fact, the entire weekend reminded me of crystal growth where a small grouping of parts comes together, settles into an ordered arrangement and then is joined by similar parts continuing to add size and shape while maintaining the initial arrangement. Of course, the antithesis of a crystal is an amorphous mixture where defects interrupt the order. There is always a constant battle between the crystal and its defects, the order and the chaos and this is, of course, reflected in the perfect Porsche weekend we call the HCR.

Crystals usually have a very pretty shape. That is to say that the specific orientation and organization creates a level of order in the grouping that does not exist in the surroundings. I was first reminded of this as I pulled into the parking lot in Kerrville, TX. There was a level of order that was not present elsewhere. What I saw when I pulled into the YO Ranch Hotel was a corner of the parking lot that was specifically reserved for the HCR parking. More specifically Porsche parking.

The order had already started. There was a group of early 911s lined up, with the type of ordered parking precision we often see when a few of these cars gets together. Parked with even spacing and alignment at the front hood termination forming a regimented seed for a crystal weekend. By the end of the first evening the seed had grown and the parking lot was nearly covered with 356s, 914s, early 911s, and impact bumper 911s demonstrating nearly four decades of Porsche performance and beauty. Despite the relative chaos created by the "defects" of differences in individual models, colors and preparation the overall crystal lattice structure had already taken shape. It was a theme that would repeat over the entire weekend; The push and pull of order and chaos threatening to prevent all the hard work preparing for HCR 2016 from ending up as a 15th year Crystal weekend.

Parking Lot seeds...

Parking Lot seeds have grown...

The event did not start off with the level of order that I found in the parking lot. Months of preparation, decision making, and last minute changes threatening to add defects into our event. The first major defect was registration. The HCR planning committee is comprised of many local enthusiasts that take responsibility of individual tasks of hotels, website, registration, event swag, organized drives and every other detail we can cover to pull off this gathering. It starts months in advance. So when you are all trying to converge on a Thursday afternoon, each bringing knowledge and materials for individual parts so that registration packets can be distributed to 150 attendees life can be a little chaotic. However, when the traffic clears and you have solo access to some of the best driving roads in Texas you know that order is there. This thought is reinforced when registration goes smoothly and attendees check-in to the event bringing smiles, laughter and conversation amongst them.

Friday morning started the first day of driving. I woke early to massive thunderstorms in the area. The threat of storms in Texas is real. Lightning, thunder and heavy rains were ruling the order of the morning. As locals we take this seriously. The best roads have low water crossings where makeshift creeks are created from heaving precipitation runoff. We were extra cautious in the morning and delayed our start times to make sure road conditions were improved compared to pre-dawn indications. The weather was trying to induce chaos and defects into our organized weekend. Thankfully, as the sun was rising the storms were moving out of the area. Audible route changes to some of the organized driving groups took us around flood prone areas but did not diminish access to our favorite routes.

Incoming weather warnings...

Dark and Rainy start to Friday...

Roads are wet but clouds are moving out to let sun shine through...
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

mad scientist
    Leaving the hotel early morning provide spectacular views of passing cumulonimbus clouds. The rest of the day was pure driving bliss. The clouds created chaos in planning but created order in the ability to keep the roads free of traffic, including the usual large groups of motorcycles present on Spring weekends. I know my total for the day was in excess of 250 miles and most of them spent with the suspension heavily corner loaded. By the end of the day we would know that our crystalline shape would remain.

Friday Drive Pictures...

Rest Stop...

Goat Trail...

Utopia...

After the fantastic driving roads of Friday there was an organized car show on the local courthouse parking lot. The Kerr County Courthouse parking lot takes up most of the center section of downtown Kerrville. We completely filled the parking lot. It was great to see the camaraderie and all the cars lined up in unison. A local BBQ vendor pulled into place to help feed the masses. Once everyone returned to the hotel we had an ad hoc late night party where we all managed to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. At the end of the night you could tell that the organizers were finally starting to relax and it was clear that the attendees were all having a good time.

mad scientist
    Saturday was more driving. A few groups left just after sunrise. Several groups followed later in the morning but everyone was out driving. Another couple hundred miles on the odometer solidified the enjoyment of the cars. I think many of the new attendees might have driven their cars harder than they ever had. Saturday afternoon and evening were filled with laughs, bench racing, smiles and overall feeling of elation and exhaustion. The Saturday night banquet nearly brought everything to a close and had us all prepared for another year of waiting around. This was the final justification needed to realize our crystallized form had finally taken place.

Saturday Drive Pictures...

Herding Cattle...

Lunch Stop

Post Drive Relaxation

Out of all the cars the numbers for the weekend were quite good. Here are some of the weekend stats off the top of my head in round figures. 150+ attendees. 6 father/son teams. 3 brother-brother teams. 120 cars. 500+ miles of driving routes for some groups. 3 cars on trailers. 2 cars on tow trucks. zero tickets (As far as I know). too many adult beverages to count. It really shows how many of these cars are still driving, how durable they are and how much fun the owners have with them.

At the end of our Crystal Anniversary HCR weekend I can really observe that despite the defects trying to interrupt the organization there really is beauty in crystals. I suppose I should say that we have this delicate crystal that has grown slowly over the past 15 years. It continues to add beauty and strength as it gets larger. We all have to work to make sure that it is not dropped and broken.

Hope to see you all back next year.

mad scientist
    We had a Bartee reservation up until the last minute hope you and Lisa would make it down.

mad scientist
    John, missed you too. I honked and waved at the "ranch" when we drive by Friday afternoon.

Link to an amazing collection of photos of the 2016 HCR by Paul Moseley...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmo...57666716859616
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

Wow...nice pictures, Paul!! My wife and I have been wanting to attend this event for a while now. Looks like it was a hoot!
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

My youngest son, Billy, and I made it back from our second HCR Tuesday evening. We love this event and hope to attend many more. Thanks to Sean Brinley and the rest of the organizing team. Special thanks to Jamie Novak our favorite Tourmesiter who sets a great pace. The one thing missing this year was following John Binion in the Davey Jordan car through the canyons.

The HCR was the centerpiece of an epic Los Angles-to-Virginia cross country trip in our 914/6. With a newly rebuilt (by Tony Gerace of TLG) 2.7, we made good time!

A few pics from the Friday and Saturday morning "enthusiast" drives...

Name:  4-1-2016_150.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1812.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1816.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1826.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  161.8 KB

And a few from the cross-country trek...

Name:  IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  142.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1786.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1797.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  120.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1804.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1805.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  85.3 KB

Cheers!

Wonderful writeup Jamie. Another HCR is in the books. We always enjoy this super fun weekend. visiting with like minded enthusiasts, seeing so many incredible cars and most of all driving the beautiful and challenging Hill Country roads. Let's all give a big thank you to the folks who work so hard to put on this weekend. The photos that Paul Moseley posted are just spectacular and an indication of how cool this event is.
    Frank and Peggy Camalo
    Frank
    65 356SC/SR...sold after 20 great years.
    72 911 S
    84 930 Factory Slantnose.
    2018 Panamera Sports Turismo

Quote Originally Posted by richemj View Post
    Link to an amazing collection of photos of the 2016 HCR by Paul Moseley...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmo...57666716859616
    great pics - any video's out there ? more pics ?? need my fix after missing out this year
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.