Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously?

I Got Your 'Seriously' . . .

. . . '64 Volkswagen Type I

23 miles

'. . . 1964 Volkswagen Beetle (23 Mile Time Capsule)

Bought new by Rudy Zvarich in1964 and inherited by his nephew in 2014. This may be the most original Beetle on the planet. It was bought and stored as Rudy's backup to his 1957 VW Beetle and never put into service.

Here is the story: http://spicercollectorcars.com/2017/...-time-capsule/

The car clicked over from 22 miles to 23 pulling it out of storage. The original battery has never been activated and is still with the car. Purchased new in Beaverton Oregon from Riviera motors, this is truly an amazing car. Look through the photos and see the original untampered condition.

These time capsules don't come around very often.

If you have any question please call (503) 236-1737 Burback Motors.

Price: $1,000,000 . . .
    '

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2171078.html

And . . .

'. . . What does it take for an old Beetle to be worth millions? Sometimes the currency helps, as the oldest VW Beetle in Sweden, a 1948 "Type 1" recently sold for 1,350,000 SEK. That's still only about $150,000, falling far from the million-dollar mark. But, there's a black Beetle for sale in Portland, Oregon, with the asking price of a cool $1 million.

The Oregon Beetle is far newer than the Swedish car, as it was built in 1964. The unique thing is that it has only 23 miles on the odometer and remains absolutely original in every respect. With a car like this, there has to be a backstory, and this one is worth hearing: A mechanic and car collector by the name of Rudy Zvarich simply bought the car to act as a spare car, if his 1957 daily driver Beetle would ever terminally conk out. Zvarich viewed the 1964 car as peak Beetle, as the significant revisions for the 1965 model year Beetle were total deal killers for him. Volkswagen enlarged the windows and introduced a curved windshield for 1965, which Zvarich absolutely did not want. So, he promptly went out and bought a 1964 model, which he proceeded to mothball for the future.

As it happened, there never was a need for the 1964 car. The Beetle sat in the corner of his storage building, with a sheet draped over it and the fluids drained, until 2016. In 2014, Rudy passed away at 87, with the super-original Beetle going to his nephew. When the car was extracted from its spot, great care was taken not to "ruin" its details: The wipers and hubcaps have never been fitted, the dealer sticker is still in place, and the car hasn't even been washed once. Sure, there probably are enough NOS and reproduction parts to replicate a Beetle in this condition, but everything here is factory original, something that can be imitated but never truly re-created. The million-dollar asking price is quite strong, especially considering the dealer sticker mentions the Beetle cost $1,756.90 in 1964 (a little over $14,000 in today's dollars) — but until another car that's as all-original and low-miles comes along, this particular VW is an absolute unicorn . . .
    '

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/04/...021&yptr=yahoo

(Not mine) . . .

. . . but if it were? --------- I'd take it to Pebble!

Attached Images Attached Images        

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Super duper cool. There are other 60's Beetles out there with under 100 miles that can be bought for FAR less.

Blue Streak Plug wires? Must have been part of the performance package sold by the dealer.

Seriously? Drive it. I think... Agree though, that is really a neat artifact.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I wonder if it actually runs. I have a 1966 Aztec GT kit car that my dad bought in 1967 it's based on a 1964 bug chassis. It only has 20 K original on the chassis but the engine is so tight I'm about 95% sure it won't run anymore. Even though it's been stored in the garage just the fact that it hasn't run for 25 years. It didn't really want to run 25 years ago. That 23 Mile bug is across the river from me so I thought about going over to see it. Pretty neat time capsule. Still hard for me to get over the fact that I considered them junk even when new.

Banned
    Letting one's imagination run wild, think of ALL THE CARS that a guy could have chosen in 1964 to buy and sock away.

It's actually brilliant to price it at 1M. Makes press worldwide, even in women's periodicals.

To me this is one of those "perceived value" things. If you had the $1M plus would you buy this old VW bug? Maybe Volkswagen would?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    What women's periodicals..... Oh never mind....

……………………………………
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 10-05-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: How very sophomoric....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    ……………………………………
    Sophomoric? What's your point?

I am thankful Chuck that you and my wife keep me in line but the moment I stop being sophomoric will be the early warning sign that I've had a stroke.

or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUmINGae44

It's actually brilliant to price it at 1M. Makes press worldwide

Exceptional PR!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Rennsport Reunion 6 Badge

'At didn't take long --- souvenirs for sale . . . already

Then/again --- just look at this thing . . . for $450, too

(Hey! --- can't get it if you don't ask for it, right?)

IMO . . .

. . . remarkably average execution --- almost as pedestrian as Porsche's own 70th Anniv badge

Looks like something thrown-together in a high-school art class --- + half-finished, at that . . . sunken cloisonne = ugh!

Gonna put in a bid for designing something for their 75th . . . 'cause this is NOT Porsche

This is execrable

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes