Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaupunkt Restoration/Repair

Blaupunkt Restoration/Repair

Does anyone have a recommendation for repairing a vintage Blaupunkt...at least to a degree to allow me to listen to a ball game (Go Giants)?

The Radio Doc. He is backed up right now and isn't cheap but he is honest and good.

Bill Henn
    4311 Palmetto Street
    Saint Augustine, FL 32084-7305
    radiodoc@bellsouth.net
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    All the radio repair work I've had done was done by Wilford Wilkes who's now retired.

I see Hernan Acosta at lots of swap meets and he has a good reputation:

Hernan Acosta
    Germany Auto Radio Repair
    10544 W. Victory Blvd.
    North Hollywood, CA 91606

(818) 769-8919

Other folks have spoken highly of:

Dan & Patty Healy
    Classic Car Radio Service
    25 Maple Road
    P.O. Box 764
    Woodacre CA 94973-0764

(415) 488-4596
    http://www.classicradio.com/
    healy@classicradio.com
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I had a radio with Hernan for several months. He told me a number of times that the radio would be repaired in two weeks. I eventually had to take it back in the same state that I dropped it off. His shop is in such a state of disorder that he struggled to find it for me. I would recommend looking elsewhere.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

I had Radioman in San Diego do mine last year. I'd definitely recommend him. His website is a bit 2001 but he knows these radios.

http://www.radiomanrepair.com/#Porsche%20Systems
    Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold

Quote Originally Posted by 422flat6 View Post
    I had Radioman in San Diego do mine last year. I'd definitely recommend him. His website is a bit 2001 but he knows these radios.

http://www.radiomanrepair.com/#Porsche%20Systems
    Definitely- He does great work!
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    The Radio Doc. He is backed up right now and isn't cheap but he is honest and good.

Bill Henn
    4311 Palmetto Street
    Saint Augustine, FL 32084-7305
    radiodoc@bellsouth.net
    I’d like to thank you guys for creating this board. I stumbled across it when I was at the end of my rope. Original owner of a 1990 BMW 735I (E32). After I had the car for 8 years, in 1998 I was able to find the perfect radio from Blaupunkt to replace my OEM radio with tape player. I just wanted a single CD unit. Blaupunkt had just discontinued the Toronto RDM 126. I was the perfect radio for me as the Varicolor that allowed you to adjust from red to green had a dead center setting that was exactly BMW orange, and it matched every light on my dash. As Blaupunkt was out of stock, I got in touch with the Blaupunkt Rep in the Southeast. He told me that there was one of these units in South Miami and it was on display. He arranged for me to have it for $300.00. I was thrilled. Drove 80 miles south to the radio store and the jerk behind the counter wanted $550.00 cash, as he knew how badly I wanted it and didn’t know the Rep had arranged pricing with his boss. I called the Rep, he called the store and I got the radio for the $300.00. Might have been the last one in the country. After 10 years the pixels started acting up and I sent it off to Midwest Electronics and they put in a new pixel board as well as whatever else they thought the radio needed. They sent me back a little bag of old parts to show me what they had replaced. They had a set fee back then. I think I paid about $175 dollars with shipping. A few years later they closed. So as these radios went up for sale, even though they were the Euro models on Ebay, I bid on them and purchased them for parts. I never wanted to change out my radio. I got too used to it. The Euro version has no AM, in place of it is M/L for Medium and Long wave. The FM part of the radio works but does not scan the same as the US version as FM is a little different on the other side of the pond. Everything else is the same. You can store your FM stations once you find them. Over the years I bought two of these. So when my CD player stopped functioning, I tried desperately to find somebody to fix it, and really no luck all around. Even to find somebody to swap the CD mechanism from one of my Euro radios to the US version. No luck. Then I came across your postings here. I emailed Bill. What a gentleman. His contact back and forth with me was incredible. After a while I sent off my US version Toronto RDM and he completely went over it. Said it was more than just the laser pick-up and that the board controlling the CD had a problem. After a bit, I sent him one of my Euro model Torontos. This is the one I decided to make my parts radio as the other Euro model was better and it will always be my backup radio. It played very well when I switched them out. Even my satellite radio playing through AUX was working fine. He took his time, went over everything and decided the switch could happen. He moved the Euro CD player into my radio, tested and cleaned everything and sent both back at an incredibly reasonable price. Put my US version back in the car, marked the Parts Radio as such and put my Euro backup radio away for other days. I can’t tell you how great it was to find a guy like this on your board. I post on the Bimmerforum in the E32 section for years, but registered here simply to tell you this story. I would recommend Bill Henn in St. Augustine Florida to anybody looking for true Blaupunkt service from a true gentleman.
    Jeff Kopelow
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    jkopelow@bellsouth.net
    Last edited by CroughtonE32; 04-07-2018 at 03:26 PM.

I've used Emil Besier. Reasonable pricing and excellent results. He is located in Illinois. Phone is (847) 540-5555 Email is ebesier@cs.com
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Not sure which Giants you are referring to, but if the NFL kind and you are in the NY/NJ area, I had Stefan at SW Stereo in NJ repair my non-working 64 Essen. took him a few weeks and returned to me looking both great and working very well. Reasonable price, call him (email is not his forte), the guy use to work for Blaupunkt..

http://www.swstereo.com

Olde Thread Alert

Who are you all using these days for radio repair?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100