Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: early interior experts, show all you got

early interior experts, show all you got

I am getting my May 1965 911 (301379) interior restored now, and want to ensure we do it right.
    Who can help?

Seats:
    I have period seats, but from another car. Some questions on the seats
    - the kardex says Kunstleder Schwarz, so no pepita. There have been different vinyls over time. When were the changes, which one do I need?
    - some seats have very finely perforated backs. My April 65 912 has it. But what is correct for a May 1965 911?
    - the 6 folds were replaced by 5 between 301000 and 301300 I believe, so this car should have 5 folds
    - what should be the texture of the folds? Is it the famous weave or something else? I have also seen patterns with pseudo holes

Use of vinyl:
    - is the vinyl of the front seats, the back seats, the back sides, the middle backside under the rear window, the top and bottom dash, the A and B colon covers, the doors, the liners below door and quarter windows as well as the little piece in the glove box all the same vinyl?

Luggage room carpet:
    - I have seen many cars with a kind of felt, easy to handle. I am told however that for early cars it should be like the interior carpets, reinforced with a brown pseudo coconut fiber back (it is really rubber, not coconut and allegedly the only current production of this original stuff is in India). I have seen cars with such hard to handle carpet. What is correct for my car?
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pss View Post
    I am getting my May 1965 911 (301379) interior restored now, and want to ensure we do it right.
    Who can help?

Seats:
    I have period seats, but from another car. Some questions on the seats
    - the kardex says Kunstleder Schwarz, so no pepita. There have been different vinyls over time. When were the changes, which one do I need?
    - some seats have very finely perforated backs. My April 65 912 has it. But what is correct for a May 1965 911?
    - the 6 folds were replaced by 5 between 301000 and 301300 I believe, so this car should have 5 folds
    - what should be the texture of the folds? Is it the famous weave or something else? I have also seen patterns with pseudo holes

Use of vinyl:
    - is the vinyl of the front seats, the back seats, the back sides, the middle backside under the rear window, the top and bottom dash, the A and B colon covers, the doors, the liners below door and quarter windows as well as the little piece in the glove box all the same vinyl
    I don't know that my car (301382) had its original interior when I got it so I can't be definitive about the exact vinyl.

As to whether the entire interior had the same vinyl; I think it pretty much did, except maybe there was perforated vinyl for the seat inserts. This is from the April 1965 brochure

Name:  April 65 Page 03_ps.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  April 65 Page 03_ps_seat.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  112.2 KB

Note that this shows 6 pleats so it's from a somewhat older car. The same brochure also shows a full height cut through the wood dashboard trim beside the ashtray (6 piece dash).

Porsche used vinyl with pinhole perforations in the 356C. At some point, the seat inlay changed to the hard-to-find basketweave.

I downloaded a color chart from http://www.porsche.com/international...ourcharts911f/ which says "Skai-Flor Flechtnarbenprägung/basket weave grained leatherette" seat inlays. It's dated 5.65 but clearly has 1966 paint colors.

Quote Originally Posted by pss View Post
    Luggage room carpet:
    - I have seen many cars with a kind of felt, easy to handle. I am told however that for early cars it should be like the interior carpets, reinforced with a brown pseudo coconut fiber back (it is really rubber, not coconut and allegedly the only current production of this original stuff is in India). I have seen cars with such hard to handle carpet. What is correct for my car?
    I know this! My car (301382) did have its original trunk carpets when I got it. I may even have the original carpet somewhere.

On a 911 at least, the trunk carpet is not the same as the interior carpet. The 911's trunk has black squareweave (bouclé) carpet just like the people compartment of a 356 or early 912. The center piece of trunk carpet has a "jute" backing that's sort of tan/beige/reddish-light-brown. It is a brown fiber. Maybe it's "rubberized" and maybe it's not what a real fiber expert would call "jute" but it's definitely a fiber--not a sheet of plastic or rubber.

At the Lit Meet I talked to Mark Burkit from Specialty Cars Service Center, Inc. who was selling jute material to be glued to the back of the trunk carpet. It's probably not perfect but it's the best I've seen in a while.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 03-30-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Here's another old brochure--this is a Printed in USA brochure with no date. It still shows a "4-button" dashboard top so its probably earlier than 301379. I think it also shows perforated seat inlays:

Name:  Type_911-2000_front-seat.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  309.2 KB
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

65 912 original interior

Here are a couple photos of my old very early Porsche built 912 with original interior if it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks people.

Jim,
    as much as I like the finely perforated pleats on the pictures, unfortunately the pictures in the manual or brochures of early 1965 often show prototypes or 1964 models. Your own car would be the best comparison as it is so close to mine, but yours has Pepita, mine not.
    Any opportunity to send me a picture of your luggage room material top and back side?

Beaker,
    what month is your car? Is it the basket weave or is it a pseudo hole pattern?

Cheers, J
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Banned
    One of the seats in my 705 car is original 6 pleat, non pepita. If that helps I'll post a pic.

original trunk mat from a 65 912
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

My car is 301318 and still has all of its original interior.
    Seats: 5 pleats. Vinyl on Pleats is perforated like late 356
    Cars. Back is also perforated.

Use of vinyl: grain is the same everywhere. The only difference is that pleats and back of seats are perforated.

Trunk: German square weave wool just like 356 carpeting (note that is not the same as the interior carpeting in 1318 which is a wool velour). Trunk carpeting (sides and bottom) is bound in vinyl and the large bottom piece is backed with a coarse natural fiber. It is not rubber.

Dash: 1318 still has the buttons on the dash top.

My 1965 912 was built 2-6-65. Perforations in center bolsters as well as rear of seat back. VIN 350153

Sorry, I couldn't locate my old trunk carpet. Fortunately, some other folks had better luck with old trunk carpets.

I did find a door top piece that came from a '65 912. This should be original leatherette:

Name:  2016-04-01 11.50.09.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  2016-04-01 11.50.12.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  128.1 KB
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe