Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of a 1973 RS in Lilac recently restored

Pictures of a 1973 RS in Lilac recently restored

Hi, I have been meaning to add some pictures of a car we recently restored and found time tonight to get some uploaded. Hope you like them. The car is an original RHD 1973 911RS now restored back to its original colour Lilac.

Thanks

Alan

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Name:  Daaaaammnn.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  27.0 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Pure Sweetness

Schiefer, that pic made me laugh out loud.

Thanks

Cracking photographs Alan! Striking colour.

Hope you and the team are all keeping well.

ATB

Steve

When I saw the thread title I thought it would look like a Mary Kay car, but damn that is hot!

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    When I saw the thread title I thought it would look like a Mary Kay car, but damn that is hot! Ravi
    A British market curiosity regarding that colour name -- "Lilac" officially, "Royal Purple" unofficially over here?

In the UK I'm pretty sure that cars in the factory colour of "lilac" as shown in Alan's pictures were usually referred to and pitched to customers as "royal purple" ....a name which based on photos here does the bold colour more justice and sounds stronger name than "lilac". Without seeing it, the name "Lilac" conjures-up a much paler shade closer to mauve than the deeper hue paint the factory actually used.

Colour name switch "Lilac>Royal Purple" probably made sense locally here in the United Kingdom back then. I don't have any official Porsche literature to back up this statement despite having a number of Porsche Cars Great Britain locally produced sales literature from model years 72/3. However, this snippet from back in the day may add some credence ...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  19.4 KB

This is a for sale ad from a January 1973 issue of a well known UK car publication that refers to a 73E by the term "royal purple" at a time when the car in question could only have been a few months old. (Couldn't find a lilac RS advert example using that official factory name nor this alternative colour name, but I didn't look very hard). This advert for MY 73 E, which was placed by a well known official Porsche main agent in London who are listed in the early 70s worldwide service directories -- not some backstreet outfit-- seems to bear this alternative name theory out.

I'm intrigued to know what colour name was actually used on any UK local period sales invoices, customer order documents and so forth that are still with the RS -- even though the official factory colour was named "lilac".

Thought this local colour name curiosity (which I recall hearing / reading about, but forget where) might be relevant, given the subject of the post is a British RHD RS with that unusual colour.

Alan: If there is evidence of the more regal sounding "Royal Purple", does that make the asking price go up

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-04-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Looks very nice Alan. Congratulations on the build.

BTW, I still like "Lilac" rather than Royal Purple.
    All of the other (2) cars that I know of call themselves Lilac....or their owners do

H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 04-04-2016 at 07:09 PM.

member #1515
    Lovely work as always Alan.
    I like the name Lilac better than Royal Purple. Isn't there a degreaser named Royal Purple?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

motor oil, not degreaser
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425