Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto appraiser Seattle area that understands value of preservation class early 911

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    I use State Farm's "Limited Use Antique/Classic" policy for my early cars. Several years ago, my agent explained that, for stated values above $35K, they required an appraisal. Once I obtained an appraisal from someone they approve, they raised the stated value to the appraisal amount. On one of my cars, I pay a six-month premium of $188 for a stated value of $125K. I have no idea how this compares with other insurers but I'm satisfied with State Farm's service. I'm also in Washington State.
    I also have all my classic cars insured using the Antique/Classic policy with State Farm. The cars are insured to a value which are supported by an appraisal. The downside is when the value goes up, you have to get a new appraisal to support the new value. Plus every two years, SF sends me a form to fill out to which asks about where the specific car is stored, the mileage, condition, value, and will also have to submit pictures to my agent. For my recent letter, I upped the value of the car by ~3% just to see if they would accept it (without a new appraisal) and the new value was in the new declarations page.

As for customer service, SF has always done right by me. My old 356C sunroof was totaled many years ago before I had it on a Antique policy. State Farm sent out a classic car appraiser who determined the value of the car before the accident and paid out in full.

I'll have to ask Chris to do my next appraisal. But if your insurance co requires a certified appraisal company, I had Mark Ito from the Auto Appraisal network appraise my RS a few years ago. Ito@AutoAppraisalNetwork.com
    Perry

S Registry #326
    58 Glockler Speedster
    62 Roadster
    73 Carrera RS #0049
    95 993 C4 3.8
    14 Cayman

Definitely vet the appraiser before they show up.

We had a situation here recently where a State Farm recommended appraiser "reached" to put a $60k valuation on an S that the owner sold two months later in the low 200s.

I can't imagine insuring our cars with a State Farm or similar insurer. Given that you can spend the "savings" difference on simple parts and basic service these days, I don't understand the mindset of taking a chance given all the chicanery in their policies.

Specialty insurers are the way to go
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    One thing you need to look for in the policy is an "in sight" clause. Some insurance policies are written such that the vehicle must be in "your sight" at all times. So if you go out to dinner and the car is not in your sight and it disappears or is hit, tough luck.
    Wow, did not know to look for this.

Thanks for calling it our Eric.