Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: 911S Resurrection Not Restoration

I'm starting to do some work with putty. The truth is easy once you get the hang of it. Although I have several imperfections I do not see it bad work to be the first. Obviously, this will not be definitive, maybe raise it and start over, maybe review it. It is not clear to me yet. I have sanded to lower the grit step from grit to less, degrease and apply an anti-oxidation spray primer instead of epoxy. Once left to dry, I used the putty and after drying, sandpaper ... For recommendations I've seen in tutorials etc ... I have not passed the fine-grained sandpaper patch since I could pick up the rig / paint. I've smoothed the edges with 320 if I remember right ....
    Sanding has been done by hand and taco

Saluds

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  52.0 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  43.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  62.2 KB

+ 30 € materiales

+

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  70.1 KB
    Last edited by _gonbau; 11-16-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Baudett,

if I were you I would not concentrate on "puttying" the car myself. That is something I would have the paint shop taken care of. Besides, at this stage of restoration I'd consider it to be a tad early.
    For the time being (and waiting for the CoA) I'd suggest to have a closer look at all the details that should be fitted to the car. And maybe scrapping of more paint around the VIN-tag in the trunk. Just to make sure that panel is genuine. I would assume your car actually being a "S" though just because of the front oil cooler including the lines are looking pretty original.

And be aware! Restoring a early 911 is a rather time (and money) consuming task. But will let you end up with a car of some decent value if done right. You might not have the necessary funds readily available but you do have a pretty much unique advantage compared to others: the car as it is is free for you! So you'll be starting with a zero bill.
    IMHO it does not make sense to do all the work by yourself. Even if that yould mean to ship the car to the continent, pay a customs deposit, have it done correctly there and ship it back to the Canaries.
    Remember, you are not in a hurry to get the car done. What is a year sooner or later compared to the fun/value you'll be expecting later?

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    Baudett,

if I were you I would not concentrate on "puttying" the car myself. That is something I would have the paint shop taken care of. Besides, at this stage of restoration I'd consider it to be a tad early.
    For the time being (and waiting for the CoA) I'd suggest to have a closer look at all the details that should be fitted to the car. And maybe scrapping of more paint around the VIN-tag in the trunk. Just to make sure that panel is genuine. I would assume your car actually being a "S" though just because of the front oil cooler including the lines are looking pretty original.

And be aware! Restoring a early 911 is a rather time (and money) consuming task. But will let you end up with a car of some decent value if done right. You might not have the necessary funds readily available but you do have a pretty much unique advantage compared to others: the car as it is is free for you! So you'll be starting with a zero bill.
    IMHO it does not make sense to do all the work by yourself. Even if that yould mean to ship the car to the continent, pay a customs deposit, have it done correctly there and ship it back to the Canaries.
    Remember, you are not in a hurry to get the car done. What is a year sooner or later compared to the fun/value you'll be expecting later?
    I know that I'm scattered in the car right now, but there are days I get tired of the same thing and I want to learn new things. As I commented, I do not think it is a definitive job or if this type of tasks I will do, because I know how delicate this issue is. But learn, now that I can. Now that the car allows me I do not see it wrong. As much as it takes to undo and mount. Regarding stage x) the whole reason. I get things out of time. One day I am with the floors, another with the flares and another with the front. But well, as I tell you, I'm bored with monotony even though this has to be a job of a lot of patience.
    VIN in the trunk? Or do you mean vin? The other day I saw a comment from a forero who used a mirror to see the inside and the welds. If you mean the gas sheet of the gas tank so it says my eye and for photos I've seen of veneers mounted on mine is original. However, I will post a photo in more detail so you can give me your opinion.
    Regarding S or S / T ... this topic I'm going to leave it parked, which is what God wants but I will not focus this topic in the forum since I will take away importance. I'm going to reemphasize what's really worth. What is the car itself, what has been, and what will be .... When I have more knowledge I will put it back with the things I have discovered (The two holes in the back chairs, the brackets for S / t with factory yellow on the front refrigerator, fiber defense) I have many things to look at, so time will tell. My father and I are thinking about sending a letter to the Porsche house to see what happens once and for all.
    That is the advantage that my father has given me ... It has not been cold with me or with my brothers never in that aspect. We always promised the car for those who finish the race and here it is. It does not stick to the jobs we do but keep the eye on them and make us go with great care. Regarding money ... this is my decision, I want to do it myself, to learn to do it, to do it all my life. Money is there, but not for the car right now ... So sand it in hand and I get to it that it knows everything better.
    He is right in dividing the job. Obviously I am not expert at all nor will I ever be and the symptom of maturity is knowing how to appreciate the point where I can not follow oneself. For now those points for me are the frames under the doors which I have not dared to radiate or think it does but this putty, well. Obviously until it was not painted it would not see the flaws but the truth. To this day, I do not regret anything I learned on my own, with my euros.

A year, two, three are nothing compared to the fresh air that you catch from Teide with the car in summer. But they are no longer two or three ... I've been waiting for the car to roll again for more than 20 years. Recall your noise.
    I have not been riding on any porsche for over 20 years, which I suppose was when my father parked it.
    I think you can get the idea that time does not affect me much. But they are already years ..... AND WINS !!!!

Thank you very much for the comment! Can you think of any place to investigate the car? Pieces or interesting things like you mentioned before?

Saluds

-So I see the translator of google continues to transform my expressions into unlikely things ... In the career I mean the post studies
    -Regarding what you say about whether S or S / t. I will continue to say or believe so, as I have said so far. In research, although this is clear, to finish believing me that it is an S, I will need some expert to verify the points in doubt, since I understand that before it did not decapitate how is it possible that that yellow there? It is a point that I insist because I have quite dislocated since until a couple of months I was 100% sure that it was a modified S post manufacture this echo contradicts what I see.
    Last edited by _gonbau; 05-15-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EL FARO View Post
    Diferente muy raro
    Hello Dad
    I present my father who has made his appearance in the forum
    The who has managed to keep this car in the garage for 20 years ... And not badly care precisely ...

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    VIN in the trunk? Or do you mean vin?
    Yes, I meant to check around the panel with the VIN (vehicle identification number) embossed. Just to make sure you don't find something like this under the numerous layers of paint:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/PORSCHE-911-F...-/222502937796

Though I doubt you will find traces of that. Your Dad owns the car for 20+ years. Back in those days probably no one actually cared about forging VINs on 1970'ish 911s. I guess not even if the vehicle had actually been stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    Yes, I meant to check around the panel with the VIN (vehicle identification number) embossed. Just to make sure you don't find something like this under the numerous layers of paint:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/PORSCHE-911-F...-/222502937796

Though I doubt you will find traces of that. Your Dad owns the car for 20+ years. Back in those days probably no one actually cared about forging VINs on 1970'ish 911s. I guess not even if the vehicle had actually been stolen.
    I'll keep this in mind, but because of the pickling work I've done in that area, there are no signs of previous work, nor does it have many layers of paint, just a black paint and I do not remember if yellow but I think not. That area may have always been black. I will investigate, in any case. What I do not understand I could get out of this. Having the oil cap I am clear that it is a 72 and coincides with the VIN of an S. I do not think that the VIN of an S / T has been supplanted even before my father, and before these times was not valued "much" That's what I think Interesting point to see. I'll check it out this afternoon!

I have not found any indication of work on changes of parts in that area. From what I saw again, the color of the interior was always black.

In the number of the dashboard the base yellow can be seen throughout the structure of the dashboard. But in the front number (in the absence of further inquiry) I only find the black one (1 layer). I understand that the front drawer was only painted 1 time or several black

Name:  DSC_2460.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  50.2 KB

I removed the spare tire from where the car had in the past, some rust has but I have been able to clean the marks. Little to say. What other types of wheels existed at the time?

Name:  DSC_0277.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  95.4 KBName:  DSC_0271.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  58.1 KBName:  DSC_0270.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  57.2 KB

+

The wheel in conjunction with the car tires come from the SC.
    Although my father regarding the spare wheel is not quite sure
    Last edited by _gonbau; 05-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Soundproofing. Would you recommend recovering it? I think that although with the relevant reviews ... Regarding the soundproofing of the back chairs, I have noticed that this, does not have the two holes in the center that I have seen in the plate.

Name:  DSC_0969.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  81.1 KB