Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best track to run my new 1970 911T

The problem with autocross is that it's a competitive event. You have winners and losers.

Track days are for fun.

The other problem is that autocross rewards aggressive driving. Tracks don't. We're really talking apples and bananas here.

Name:  911 @ Homestead.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  60.0 KB

Richard Newton
    Car Tech Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do a season of autocrosses first, learn the dynamics of handling first in a safe environment,,,,,,,THEN do D.E.'s at a track.
    Nail... On... Head...

Considering it sounds like you have never driven an early 911 at speed on a track (or maybe any car on a track at speed), this is exactly the thought that came to my mind. Plus, you will have more access to autocrosses that are most likely more local to you than a track. However, if you approach a DE event with the correct attitude, that can certainly work and be safe.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do a season of autocrosses first, learn the dynamics of handling first in a safe environment,,,,,,,THEN do D.E.'s at a track.

w/ all due respect.....this is not needed......at all............but doing an occass. a/x wont hurt . It will only make u a better driver!

There is a lot to gain on track driving safely w/ a good instructor

Ive tracked over 12 yrs......and now instruct for PCA BMW etc etc etc....never did a day of a/x.

Heres your best plan:

join PCA if u haven't....get together w/ so many chapters that track. Potomac, South Jersey, Riesentoter etc etc etc......it is great!!!!!!!!

At least 95 at Chuckwalla is a dry heat.

Ciaso

Jim

Auto-X is the perfect place to start to learn how to drive a tail happy car. Much better to start to learn the limits of your car on an Auto-X course than on a race track. +1 for Ed...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The Glen...

the joy and exhilaration of driving on a track, ........ learning how to get smooth, nailing your marks, hearing the engine sing is so very satisfying.

An a/x can be a 55 second rush of madness, screeching tires, redline shifts etc etc , then get back on line and wait for another run.

I understand to a degree what some of you are saying, it can be a smart thing to do....especially as you get faster.

but if I recd this advice over 20 yrs ago...to do a/x first......I woulda hated it.

Its sooo apples and oranges....or as Richard said: apples and bananas. And another good point he made is that a/x driving is usually so very "attack" like, while track driving can be quite fluid.

Ive had 75 yo students having a blast.....

its not about seeing the limits of the car, especially if u r a newbie......its about seeing your limits as a driver. Learning the line, to be smooth, steering inputs, braking inputs, braking release, wt. transfer, etc etc

Why lead him to a/x first?

to those that say A/X first..have u done both?

Being on track is so very very safe....and honestly, its easier on a car.

Don , you haven't said much...have we scared you away/..lol.....the passions we have

If you really want to do something fun, try a hillclimb...

http://www.nhahillclimb.org/2016-hil...-schedule.html
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

internet topics/convos kill me.........

now u are suggesting a hillclimb?.....

member #1515
    Cheapest way to learn car control is on a GoKart. That how I taught my kids. Less risk. Plus a lot of fun.
    We have a track 30 minutes away.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs