Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    After reading Chuck's post. I'm changing my mind and thinking they are 16 X 7s made to look like 15 X 7s. My warning still applies.

Regards

Jim
    They are actually staggered 7's and 8's in a 7R dimension. Not sure about the front tyres but the rears are 225...and before you say 'that's a lot of tyre under standard guards', I can tell you that when I saw the car at the shop visits in March, there was some blistering on the left rear guard. I'm running 17x7 all round with Pirelli Nero's in 205/40 on the front and 225/45 on the rear and a 7R offset all around with no spacers although the guards are rolled and I have the oil cooler line diversion for inner guard clearance on the rear and no problems at all. YMMV etc
    Name:  13239014_10154283130914274_850289004946920144_n.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  140.1 KB
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

So the R wheel has an inch added to the inside compared to the stock '72 15X6 wheel? Going from 6 to a 7? Will they fit? Looking at some new Superlite in 15x7 R wheels. Not sure if they make them in a 16X7R offset??? I'll check. If not the coolness will offset the tire price!!!

One thing I like is they will be period correct, and I am leaning putting most of my money in a Weidman restoration rather than buying a used set of OEM for a beating on the street. Looked at feabay.. no 16X6.

My caliper came in as did the rest of my parts. I am pretty pumped. Give me a day or two and I'll have it going!!!
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

16s are great - and tire selection is better. But - it definitely does look different to my eye. Not bad, but noticeable. I'm a wheel nerd, though.

I recently became a dealer for the new Superlite wheels out of Australia. I have them on my narrowbody 1973 T. I have them machined to the 7R offset, and they are perfect, IMO. Surprising there aren't that many options for correct period wheels anymore, let alone at a 7" width - part of why I like them so much. So, kind of a commercial, but really just trying to contribute and help the OP.

http://greggearhead.com/store/p18/Su...oy_Wheels.html

Thanks Greg. I was ready to buy a set of your Superlites, but with only 15" available, the tire sizes are very limited and expensive, as I am sure you know. I sure wish they made them in a 16.

Okay, so since Greg opened up a can of worms, I am looking at 7" wheels too. But rereading the post above with wider tires there may come blistering and other problems (moving and bending stuff), so...

I am looking at the Braid wheels over on the bird. The 16X6 has a 35mm offset. Is this the stock offset for a 72S?
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    But rereading the post above with wider tires there may come blistering and other problems (moving and bending stuff), so...
    7" rims are a piece of cake - as long as you don't over-tire them. 8" is asking for blistering. I have 225 rears on 7" and we just made sure to get plenty of oil cooler line clearance and also with the bolt on the spring plate - use up the room to the inside of the wheelwell first.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS