Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfolded Targa Top Fits Nicely behind the Seats

Unfolded Targa Top Fits Nicely behind the Seats

Some people don't know that the fully opened targa top fits behind the front seats, so no need to fold it up when traveling. Received a PM today asking about this so I went out and took a picture for those that are interested. Just be sure you lift your seatbelt straps over the top.

Name:  IMG_1441.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  102.1 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Reviving this old thread... I hesitate to do this because the transmission tunnel presses on the soft edge of the roof which may deform it. What are others’ opinions on this?
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

I put it in the trunk, unfolded. It fits fine. Never tried behind the seats because I need the seat nearly all the way back.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

That would be nice but it doesn’t fit for me. The trunk is not long enough: the hardboard cover for the ventilation stuff gets in the way. From what I’ve read, it seems to fit on G-models. And maybe SWB in your case?
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

I used to do as pictured with my 71, but alignment pins on the rear of the top can scratch or worse the B pillar upholstery, I never saw a problem with deforming the seal. I then went back to the trunk folded storage and you definitely see the effects, But it had creases 10 years ago when I got it.
    This is of interest now as the top is currently with Dave Brown being recovered & restored, on return I am not sure what I will do for long range travel, debating on a sleeve / cover to put it behind the seats and not risk damage putting it in and out. I also have a spare top I could pack in the trunk and leave Dave's top in the garage or leave it on the car without removing it, but that takes the fun out of the Targa!
    Open to ideas, thanks for bumping this up!

Best Regards

I assume it won’t fit with seat all the way back?

I haven’t had an issue with folding in the trunk. I don’t worry about crease marks either because we use these cars. Off post but I really think targas should be valued more as great driving experiences compared to the coupes.

I decided to just fold it as well, and not worry too much. The top is newly restored now, I won't leave it folded for a long time, and if needed it can always be restored again.

Agree with you on the driving experience... just took her out to the countryside today and it's just wonderful to hear the engine and experience the surroundings while you drive!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

I used to take mine off at a stop light, collapse it and put it on the back two folded down seats!

+ 1. Still do that. I don’t hesitate to fold it. Just don’t store it that way or leave it folded for long periods. Although I am guilty of that and it doesn’t seem to hurt it. It was restored about 10 years ago and is still plenty flexible.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Nothing wrong with folding it I guess, you could leave in the sun afterwards to make the creases disappear.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!