Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of a 72 911T

Yes, really.

When buying any project it is a bit of a crapshoot.
    Thinking you 'know' what is there, correct, and working; are you sure?
    Too many variables.

The floor photos do not look correct on this car, but not great photo.

Non-running motor does not always indicate a rebuild is needed.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by GT3DE View Post
    $20k max. 45 is dreaming.
    Clarke,
    here is a $20k '72 T as SOLD on ebay.
    IMO the car mentioned here matches the Hagerty price and yes I agree with you 45 is dreaming.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Porsche...p2047675.l2557
    BTW, I wonder if OP's pictures are of a Euro T with the carbs, front seats and ID Plate in the drivers side door jamb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

45k is a driver. Get in, start it up, drive away. And enjoy driving it whenever you want.
    Clarke
    Early S Registry member #3172

Current
    Race: 10 GT3 pca-GT2, (2) 78 911 pca-E 3.2L
    Street: 05 997S Launch, 75 911S Gemini Blue 3.0L, 68 912

Past
    68 912, 68 911, 69 911T, 71 911T, 72 911T, 73 911T, 73.5 911T, 75 911S, 77 911, 82 911SC, 91 964 C4, 02 996 cab, 05 997S Launch, 06 997 C4S cab, 10 Cayenne GTS, 11 GT3RS, 11 GT3RS

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." Arthur

buddan,

To help determine the value to you; what is your goal with this purchase?
    Are you planning on putting this back into original condition or modify?
    Will it be a pristine garage queen or a driver?
    Are you planning on doing the restoration work yourself (build sweat equity) or as a checkbook restoration?

About the car:
    Does the seller know the ownership history? If you plan to do a thorough restoration, ownership history can add or subtract value.
    Hard to judge from the limited photos, but I assume it is a ROW model. By 1972 MY, all U.S.A. T's had MFI and yellow cooling shrouds. And the label on the driver's side B pillar is not was came on USA cars. I am not familiar with that type of label. Also, note the rust there.

Name:  door jamb.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  44.0 KB

Good luck with the purchase of this car or finding the right one!
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

I just sold a 72T coupe project about 3 weeks ago.

Original color Polo Red
    Matching motor and trans
    90% complete but disassembled
    Needs bodywork and paint
    Original wheels (Fuchs)
    Runs and drives (now but not when sold although I knew it to be a good runner when parked by previous owner)

Sold for $36,000 and probably could have gotten more to a non-familiar buyer.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

DOUGS73E, here are answers to your questions.

To help determine the value to you; what is your goal with this purchase? I would like to keep the car.
    Are you planning on putting this back into original condition or modify? I would like to build a 911 ST
    Will it be a pristine garage queen or a driver? I want a driver.
    Are you planning on doing the restoration work yourself (build sweat equity) or as a checkbook restoration? Some of the restoration on my own but any body and paint I would out source.

About the car:
    Does the seller know the ownership history? He has owned the car for 30 years.
    If you plan to do a thorough restoration, ownership history can add or subtract value.

Hard to judge from the limited photos, but I assume it is a ROW model. By 1972 MY, all U.S.A. T's had MFI and yellow cooling shrouds. And the label on the driver's side B pillar is not was came on USA cars. I am not familiar with that type of label. Also, note the rust there. This is a Euro version.

As an owner of a 72 T Coupe that is in a little bit better shape than what the ad is showing, I have paid particularly close attention to the values of these cars. A 72T with no rust and virtually all there is worth a minimum of 30 k and most likely closer to 40K. The only real problem I have with the car shown is that it shows evidence of bodywork which would devalue the car. The other problem I have is the lack of the original interior. I would peg this car in the 30 to 35K range.

A 1972 911 with no rust? Seriously? That must be the only one in existence. Even the early 911s here in Florida have serious rust issues.

If we use Frank's formula of working backwards then the seller will have to pay us to take the car away. You're going to spend at least $150,000 to restore this car. Then you'll have an $80,000 car.

You might be able to get the car running and drivable for less but even that won't be cheap.

The real value on some of these cars is as a parts donor. Early 911 parts have gotten to the point where it's not really economical to rebuild a car with swap meet parts. That means you can get good money though from people who are desperate for a given part.

Every cloud has that silver lining.

Richard Newton
    What is this stewardship thing all about?

Hagerty shows $28k for a condition car you can drive. But with all the hype you can probably get close to $30k if you can find someone who caught up in the frenzy of the market.

I think the asking price is about $12-15K high. There are some odd modifications to the car. There is what appears to be rust at the base of the driver's door striker panel. That big tag is an importation tag, likely meaning the car came to the US later in life. There's plenty of rust in other shots, indicating to me that there will be unpleasant surprises to come.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute