Thread: The Gold plated Porsche

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

The Gold plated Porsche

For anyone who has not read it I would like to
    recommend the book "The Gold-Plated Porsche or
    How I sank a Small Fortune into a used car, and
    other Misadventures." Also, I would be interested
    in any books others would recommend.
    Don
    +|+|+|
    1970 911T
    2006 Cayman S

Hi Don, The Story of Lean Production-- Driving Global Car Wars That Revolutionizing the automotive Industry
    "The Machine That Changed the World"

Hi Curt,

How about Porsche related books? One of my favorite books is "Car" by Mary Walton." It follows in great detail, including the fights between the engineers and the "bean counters," the development of the 1996 Ford Taurus. When the redesign started it was meant to compete with the Toyota Camry. Thus Ford designed in a much richer and high quality features than the original. But when it came time to market and sell it the marketing people, of which I used to be one prior to this period, they decided it would be easier to sell it to previous Taurus owners and Japanese cars had stripped their models of features to lower the price and the Taurus became overpriced in comparison. The second generation Taurus ended up more expensive than the original and then their was a "crash" program to
    "decontent" the Taurus. There was an earlier book, not as good as Mary Walton's, that details to some extent the development of the first Taurus. In spite of the first Taurus' success the head engineer on the project was punished because the original Taurus came to the finish line overweight and over budget. Because of the unfairness the engineer's wife bought a Lexus, I believe, rather than take the free Lincoln Ford offered her.
    It would be great if I could find a book like this about Porsche's development of some new model or feature. It would be interesting if there was a book that detailed the controversal decision to switch to water-cooled cars or its first SUV.

Don+\+\+\
    1970 triple black 911T Targa
    2006 Cayman S
    Last edited by dhopkins; 05-30-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typos

I have read the multi volume Carl L. books
    but isn't there something else that has a
    narrative?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins View Post
    For anyone who has not read it I would like to
    recommend the book "The Gold-Plated Porsche or
    How I sank a Small Fortune into a used car, and
    other Misadventures." Also, I would be interested
    in any books others would recommend.
    Don
    +|+|+|
    1970 911T
    2006 Cayman S
    That book made me mad. It all just seemed so avoidable. Maybe I need to reread it...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687